'02 Grand Cherokee transmisson slippage

HOV-lane

Hello members...I have a gently used GC with just 91K miles on it and the transmission noticeably started to slip last week when I pull away from a dead stop. At higher highway speeds, when I step on the gas there is no lagging whatsoever. The 4wd has been regularly maintained with flushings and so forth and there is no fluid leakage or dashboard indicator signifying a problem. Also, when slowing down to a complete stop, there is a lurching shift to the lowest gear, and after about 20-30 secs at idle the trans feels like it clunks into/engages into gear and kind of surges forward.:???:

My grasp of the innerworkings of transmissions, in particular 4wd drivetrains, can best be described as rudimentary, as my only other car experience was helping an older brother yank out some motors he rebuilt when he was in high school.

Any feedback would be most appreciated on pinpointing the problem.

Thanks..Mark

Possibly a faulty over running clutch, internal seal leak, Gear shift linkage and or throttle linkage is mis-adjusted, low fluid level or fluid foaming. These are just a few possibility on what could be wrong with it. If you are positively sure that the fluid and filter is clean and no knowlege of tearing down on an automatic transmission, i would suggest you take it to a certified service center. There is a lot involved in diagnosing an internal failure in an automatic transmission and your better off getting the job done right the first time rather than a hit and miss.

Hey thanks for helping out. I really like the Jeep, which was dealer-maintained by my neighbors before they retired and moved down to Florida. Yes I did check the fluid level is registering normal as I had a transmission flush done only about 20K miles ago. My parents once had a car that developed shifting problems and after two pricey and prolonged stints at the trans shop the issue kept recurring and it became cost-prohibitive to maintain. As far as my Jeep goes, I am loathe to get rid of it because the engine runs so smoothly and it doesn't burn a drop of oil. A coworker has a similar Cherokee model with 200K+ faithful miles, and I was hoping the issue would be/could be accurately diagnosed and fixable and not a repeat offender.

Thanks...

hummm my02 trans usts bump after getting on the gas then off... i flushed it at work.. it was gone for a month or 2.. then back... so i replaced both filters.... and refilled... bumped once or twice... changed the 247 fluid... with only mopar fluid.... never bumped after wards....

is the t-case oil new ?

the seals on the pump could have by pass aka a seal leak.... and would let the t/q not lock up.. and would cause some of that... manily down the road.. not so much at stops... the 02 -04 dakotas had those problems... common around 100k....

i'd stop by a place that has a goo/ great rep... and talk to them... does you gc have a 4.0 or a 4.7 ?

Thanks guys...yeah I forgot to mention that it's a 6-cylinder and not the V-8 version. I'm not quite certain about the transmission case oil so I'll swing by the shop where I've had all my service done. My belongings are still boxed up from a recent move. The Jeep never gave me any problem before the noticeable slipping began to occur as I said and there are still no ominious dash lights announcing anything wrong with my vehicle. The information here has been enormously helpful and I am positively grateful for the feedback.

Like you guys said it would be worth getting it done/diagnosed right the first go-round and I do have a Jeep dealer who's mechanics have been really good sources of info too. My dad just passed last week suddenly and unexpectedly so I have been swamped with making funeral arrangements and hosting his family from overseas, but I'll swing by the dealer possibly early next week along with some of the suggestions here and run it by them.

Mark

may sound stupid but did you check transmission fluid level? just may need to add some
alot of people seem to overlook the simplest things sometimes
my wife is good for that!!:rolleyes:

Back