1" shackle and 1" body lift on 95 YJ

rtoney9

I am thinking about putting a 1" shackle and body lift on my YJ. I want to run 30 x 9.5s by the winter. How reliable are body lifts? Are there any other mods that I will have to make to it (shifter, or linkage, radiatior, etc...)? Any opinions or tips. what are good tires for offroad but still perform well on the street? My Jeep is my daily driver.[addsig]

both a 1" body and a 1" shackle can be done with no further mods.. its a good combination to get 30's under there[addsig]

thanks for the comments. I have one other question. Will I have to do anything to the motor mounts? not sure just saw on another website where it was recommended. Does this just apply to big lifts or all lifts? Thanks . I'll let you know when I get it fixed.
[addsig]

Your shifter will be one inch shorter but that is about it! tug[addsig]

unless i'm mistaken the 30"s should fit without any lift, or at least they do on my '95.[addsig]

I am running 30.9's on my stock cj and it works great.You dont even need a lift. :wink: Sully[addsig]

i had 31s on my stock 93... the rubbed... i trimmed the flares... looked better... added 2".. now it looks great[addsig]

You are right. 30s will fit w/o any mods, but it will not allow you to get much suspension travel. I want to add a lift so that I get max amount of sus. travel. thanks for the input guys. see ya.
[addsig]

30" tires will rub the fenders of a stock YJ. The lift you mention is a good choice, no other mods needed.[addsig]

To me, Body lifts are alot of work and don't do alot of good. Go with a 2 inch shackle lift, as that will give you more flexability. You would be able to fit 32s on a 2 inch lift.[addsig]

To me, Body lifts are alot of work and don't do alot of good. Go with a 2 inch shackle lift, as that will give you more flexability. You would be able to fit 32s on a 2 inch lift.

Bad mojo there. Body lifts are usually the least amount of work to install, and provide extra needed tire clearance without raising the center of gravity as much as suspension mods. A 2" shackle lift only provides 1" of lift, and the shackles hit everthing BANG, your approach and departure angles are severely reduced. They reduce caster in the front, causing the jeep to wander more, and can cause vibes in the rear by changing the pinion angle.[addsig]

Bounty, what do you mean that a 2" shackle lift only gives a 1 inch lift? what do the 1" shackle lift give ya? I've ben looking forward to doing this, so after I get my transmission replaced, I'll go ahead and do this. -Al[addsig]

Exactly. A shackle only lifts half of it's difference in length, since the axle is in the middle of the leaf spring. If the axle were closer to the shackle, it would lift more, closer to the frame mount and it would lift less.[addsig]

Back