1987 J10 Transmission

murdock2468

Hi, new to this forum. I picked up an 87 J10 with a 360 V8 and a 727 transmission. I noticed that the truck engages into park and idles like it's in park but it does not lock the truck in place(it will roll freely)
The truck is a yard truck I bought to plow with. Truck runs great but my driveway has a hill so it makes parking it tricky. Could it just be a linkage problem or something worse? Any help would be great.
I love these J10's, I had a 74 with the 258 years ago(it probably had less rust than the 87). It went through everything and never leaked a drop of anything.
Also, any other tips on things that might go wrong with the rig, like I said it's stickly for plowing as the rust is extensive, just want to keep in running for a few years.
Thanks

Possibly sheared the parking pawl in the transmission or it could just be stuck.

Im not sure if the parking pawl on a 727 can be accessed through the bottom by simply removing the pan or by removing the valve body. Im not an expert on transmissions but its worth digging in some more to find out. I'll see if i can find someone who knows exactly where it is.

Update: From what i was told, there is a possibility that the shift lever on the side of the trans. is loose and not completely engaging in park. The other culprit would be the rod that engages the parking pawl, it could be bent or worn out. This could be accessed by removing the trans pan. You will see this mechanism with the rod attached to it when the shift lever is moved to and from park.

Last edited:

Im not sure if the parking pawl on a 727 can be accessed through the bottom by simply removing the pan or by removing the valve body. Im not an expert on transmissions but its worth digging in some more to find out. I'll see if i can find someone who knows exactly where it is.

Update: From what i was told, there is a possibility that the shift lever on the side of the trans. is loose and not completely engaging in park. The other culprit would be the rod that engages the parking pawl, it could be bent or worn out. This could be accessed by removing the trans pan. You will see this mechanism with the rod attached to it when the shift lever is moved to and from park.

Thanks for the help, I'll check what you said when the weather gets above 20 here. Much appreciated!

Back