1995 4.0 ZJ Transmission Ship Problem

sudsmaster

( 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 )Well I have a problem that came and went today I am just trying to figure out what happened and try and make it not happen again. Today when I was driving I went up a small little incline and my transmission acted like it was shifting gears erratically for a few seconds but I don’t think it dropped out of gear because the RPM's did not jump up, and I was low on gas. Well when I was on my way home later going up a hill it did it some more almost like it could not find a gear or it was trying to change but did not. Im not sure if it was slipping it what. Since I was low on gas and going up a hill do you think this caused my problem maybe the engine stalling out? I filled it up with gas and drove 30 miles and it never did it once. I am just wondering if the low gas had something to do with it?? I service the transmission frequently and it has 148,000 miles and I serviced it at 144,900. Well thanks for any input I am thinking of getting serviced again tomorrow to be on the safe side, does anyone know what the life expectancy is on those transmissions?. Thanks for you help (not really looking forward to buying a new transmission)

I had this similar problem a while ago....it only happened a few times and I kind of attested it to the low gas thing. I also was very low on gas and presumed that to be it. I filled up and did not have the same problem again until weeks later and my tripometer was reading like 8 DTE so I just kind of laid off the gas a little drove it easy and filled up. I think I will be trying some fuel injector cleaner to see if it helps. I know a fellow friend on this site has recommeded the berryman injector cleaner so I've been looking for it but autozone doesn't carry and neither does wal-mart so I will be trying some other autoshops to see if I can find.

I also just replaced my transmission about 3 or 4 weeks ago(172k), I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee as well. I paid $1800.00 for the whole rebuild and install but had to take it back last week b/c ever since I got it back the gas pedal sticks when I first put it in drive. It never did that before until I got it back...I'm pretty upset....the shop has had it for a week now and the guy said he'll look at it but he just replaced my transmission and didn't work on my gas pedal. I think they think they're going to try and screw me over on it.....I will certainly be screaming if thats the case. I guess I'll see what he says in the next day or so.

Thanks for you response I hope that is what is was I have put 1000 miles on it since I posted and it has not done it again, I seervice it every 15,000 miles because I pull a lot of stuff so I hope I get many more miles in the future.

Back