1996 xj suspension

Rust_Bucket

Hey folks,
I'm running a 96 xj sport. The rear end is sagging real bad and I'm looking to throw on a fresher set of leaf springs. Was wondering what I have to look out for in terms of time and what the operation entails. Pretty rusted out underbody. Also, will laredo suspension match up? Thanks

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110223_113303.png
    ForumRunner_20110223_113303.png
    248.7 KB · Views: 520

Laredo suspension will not work without an ass ton of work. Laredos (zj,wj) are all coil springs your xj is leaf in rear.

I agree with Bounty on PB Blaster. But I would buy all new hardware and have a grinder ready to cut. I found that cutting it all of is a lot easier then trying to wrestle the rusted bolts off. I got brand new leaf springs from Crown for $100 a pear.

Thanks all. Been blasting it often because I know its gonna be a pain. It's a Minnesota vehicle =/ I do have a grinder on hand. Never really had to grind any bolts off, though. How do you go about doing that and getting the threaded end out?

long breaker bar, a gallon of pb blaster and patience. Remember your gas tank is right there. Sparks should be kept to a minimum

Ya its a tough job your first time, But you will know how to go about it if you do it again. Keep at it Bud its worth it in the SAGGY END!!

Well it's been a while but here's the update...

Ended up walking away with my saggy end between my legs. I had to take my Jeep to an XJ guy who could weld some new shock mounts for me because 3/4 bolts got lodged in the underbody. Also, every single bolt snapped off in the unibody so I ended up grinding the bolt heads just to drop the springs.

Long story short, she's sitting pretty again with some fresher springs and shocks. Thanks for the advice.

RB

Back