2003 TJ Sport.

jtoelke

I just bought a 2003 TJ Sport and I love it.
It currently has the stock rims and some new 30x9.5x15 tires. Because the tires are new, I really don't want to replace them. I am however thinking of some new rims. My first question is what rim size should I buy? I don't do any real offroading, I just like the beefy offroad look. There is a chance I may go with larger tires in the future.

Also, i do like the look of a wide stance. I have read some stuff about spacers behind rims vs. offset rims?
Again, I'm going to spend 99.9% of my time on the road having fun in the sun on the weekends. Any advice would be appreciated. :?:

If you are looking for new rims get some with more back spacing.A nice stance is around 3.25" to 3.75" back space.As far as size I would stay with 15" rims.As far as rim width personally I prefer 8",but I do wheel some and helps to stop the tire from coming off the bead.

Use the wheel spacers as a last resort to avoid premature bearing and ball joint failures. Try to get your clearance from rubbing on the wheel offset.

Thanks guys. few last questions. I know you said I should stick with 15's....but will 16's work with my tires and no lift?
Also, will the 3.75 backspace make the wheels stick out a bit further than they do with the factory rims?

I have never tried 16" rims,Would depend on how big of a side wall you have and the tire size if it would fit.With 3.5" backspace it will move the tire out almost 2" further than the stock.You will need wider fender flares or the tires will stick out past them,If your ok with the exposed tire no problems then.Check your local laws about exposed tires,I know in PA it is against the law to have them stick out,but no one seems to care and does it all the time.

Back