3/4 ton axles for a cj

71cj5

i just bought a 71 cj 5 and was wanting to put full size 3/4 ton axles under it and was wanting to know what the best axles and from what i can get them out of would be

thanks

The problem with him running a Ford front axle is the front axle drop is on the opposite side from what a CJ has. So he will need a GM or Dodge front axle. The rear axle does not matter.
71cj5 what are your plans for this jeep? What size tires? what kind of wheeling?

Last edited:
first thanks for the help so far. my plans are pretty much general trail and mud, but im pretty new to jeeps right now. im kinda thinking 36s-38s but open to more experienced advice

OK well as a rule of thumb that I use, 36" tires are max for 1/2 ton axles. So if you really want 38" then go 3/4 or 1 ton axles. As I mentioned you can use just about any rear axle, but watch which side the front drive shaft is on for the front axle, unless you plan on changing transfer cases.
Some say king pin front axles are the best, I think they are over rated for all but the most extreme situations. GM, Dodge and 97 and earlier Ford all have the same bolt pattern. Ford 1999+ have a metric bolt pattern, so if you mix axle brands make sure they both have the same pattern for obvious reasons.

Have you found what all work is involved when installing wider axles into a narrow CJ? You will have to outboard the springs at the frame, takes quite a bit of fab work.

Have you found what all work is involved when installing wider axles into a narrow CJ? You will have to outboard the springs at the frame, takes quite a bit of fab work.

is there a good site or post i could use to go off of?

Ditto, D60 out of a chevy or dodge, If your going to stay under 38" tire, D60 rear as is would be fine. Once you go over 39" tires, you will start pushing the stock 30 splin shafts, to up grade to 35 spline is a PITA. go D70 or 14 bolt, both can be bought for next to nothing, both will handle a 42"+ tire stock.

yea 14 bolt and a 60 is a good combo especially if you get a set with the same gear ratio it could save you some money.

Back