30's 0r 31's?

mikedrees

i currently have 30's on my 97 4-banger tj 5-speed. i was wondering if anyone knew if going up to 31's will increase or decrase my gas mileage. i would like to hear from somebody who has actually done it, so i can know if it is going to slow "the turtle" down anymore.

Oh, 31's will most definitely decrease your mpg. It'll also slow your "turtle" down a bit more. There are a few things you can do with a 4-banger to regain some of that loss, but not a lot.

I doubt you'll notice a difference between the 2 sizes.

Going from stock size tires to 31's yeah, but you're almost there now.

yea, you will deacrease but with such a slight change in size it will be hardly noticeable. Now if you were going to throw on 33's then you would notice it much more as you would prob have to have somone give you a slight nudge just enough to get you rolling so the 4 banger can get moving, kinda like the old hand crank start you know? :D Ok mabey not but you would notice it with 33's so what the heck thrown one the 31's and step back and say "Man I have a Sweet looking Jeep"

i guess 31's it is. now i just have to pick what kind. i get a freebee set from a tire shop i lettered some trucks for. :rolleyes:

With the way some tire manufactures are, you may end up with a 31 inch tire that is SMALLER then the 30's you have..

kevin

I have 33's on my 00 TJ 4 banger and getting going is not a problem, it's the top end speed you'll lose. I usually can't get over 60 mph on the highway in fourth. I don't even try fifth.

Back