35's on a 35?

Mxpx182lit

Hey all,
I have a chance to get a set of 35's but i have a few questions first. My main concern is the strength of my axles, i am currently running a dana 30 front and 35 rear. Both are locked by ARB airs. Will my axles hold up to the abuse i plan on throwing at them. Is anyone else running a similar sertup and how does this work for you? Thanks in advance!![addsig]

My first responce is "do you need tires that big" I am quiet happy with my 31's and never have any trouble doing what I do with them. I lost so much speed and power with that much of a jump that I would not want anything bigger myself. Now I understand the need for big ol tires in some areas where the trail conditions are very different than they are here.

If you feel the need to run tires that big go for it, you may be good for a long time until something gives. Then again with all the ARB equipment you have invested in for the 30 and 35 axels you have alot to loose if you stress them out to much.

Some here hate my only what you need to get the job done way of thinking but some times less is more in my eyes. 33's are some good meats and if you are able to get the job done with them be happy with em, If not go bigger.

Can you axles handle the 35's if you are not hard on your equipment maybe if you are hard on it most likely not. Good luck in your choices. Tug[addsig]

Prudence tells me that sooner (probably sooner) or later you'll pop something in there...one of the tough descisions I had to make was running the 33's on my stock axles, but then again, The Pit sees ALOT of abuse (off road EVERY weekend in some form or other).
I'm happy with the 33's, but then again, I'm not you. My Jeep will only see 33's on stock axles, if you want to run the 35's, I say go for it, but just be ready to pay for repairs as more often than not, I hear about the stock axles not holding up to the stress.

Rob :p :cool: :) [addsig]

You are most likely will have to relace the bearings, and seals in a short time, especially if you have ARB which means your jeep is used for it's intended purpose! The chance that you break an alxe is greatly increased. If you do not beat the bag out of it, you can run 35's and have minimal problems! My friend has had 35's on his 88 YJ for a year and a half and has no problems (stock axles but regeared to 4.56:1.) But his jeep is a street jeep and sees very little off raod use (he's got a buggy for that)

Johnny[addsig]

35's on 35's hmmmmmm lockers hmmmmmmm it won't last for long
just my $.02

Sell the D35 ARB and that should pay for a Ford 8.8 axle. Then install 35"s.

If you break something, should be a shaft, just hope it's not the $$ ARB. Is it worth the risk to you?

I ran 33" Buckshot Mudders on a D35 for years, with a 350 swapped in to turn them. Never had a problem, but you have to know when to say when. If you sit on an obstacle and spin and hop, hoping for traction, you'll break, 35" tire or not. The larger tire just increases leverage on the shaft and increases your chance of breakage.

I'm with bounty... there are people out there that will buy a locked 35.... then you can get the 8.8 with limited slip, and disc brakes... then you'll be happy you did it

i would definately upgrade to super 35 or swap for some 44's
just my opinion, most 35" on jeeps have different axles or upgrades that i have seen...

pic uploading and resizing

what kind of other 4x4s can you get a pair of beefier axles from? I too was thinking of getting 35s on my stock 35 until I read this post. So I was thinking of looking for a pair of axles out of a (fill in the blank) in a junk yard. Ideas?

The super 35 kit is just polishing a turd :shock: :lol:

A good upgrade is Dana 44's front and rear from an early 80's Wagoneer or Grand Wagoneer. Some came with driver's side diff in the front and D44 in the rear too. Stay away from Quadratrac, the rear diff is offset. The rear could be a HD AMC20 which is better than the D35, has thicker axle tubes than the CJ AMC20 and 1 peice axle shafts.

These are 6lug, so new wheels will be in order.

Ford 8.8 from a '95 or newer Exploder/Mountainerr/Navajo?etc. can be found, they have disc brakes, some have limited slips, and can be found with as low as 4.10 gears stock. Less than 2" narrower than the D35, which is about .75" per side. Stronger than a D44 and the correct lug pattern to match the D30 front.

the 8.8 has always seemed to me to be the way to go... and you can go with either 1/2" wheel spacers or different offset wheels to get them back to where they should be

Back