4.0 and AX15

jeeperwilly

antennae placement on my CJ5

I just got a line on a use 4.0 and AX15 out of a 92' YJ for dirt cheap. I'm either gonna just drop it in mine(have a 2.5, need more power) or do a stroker conversion and put it in later. I was wondering if all NP231's have the same input shaft to the transmission, both AX15 and AX5? Really don't want to have to buy a new transfer, much rather change shafts if its needed. Thanks guys

Different shaft on the 231 with the ax5.

The NP231J on the AX15 has a 23spline input, while the 231 behind the AX5 has a 21 spline input. You can get the 23 spline input and put it into your transfer case, but it will require complete dissassembly to get to.

Transmission tunnel cover for shifters

I'm guessing that the t-case isn't that hard to rip apart. Couldn't be any worse than a tranmission...Right?

Sweet!, I'm guessing that an input shaft can't be any more than what... $200. I think thats how much I had to pay for the input I just put in my AX5. Granted their different, but gotta be close. Anyway, that puts me with a whole new drive line way under $1000. Thanks again guys

Advance Adapters is the best place also if you need some parts replacing your 2.5 and your AX5 to the 4.0 and the AX15.

GoodLuck

Check ebay there were a couple of tc's on there for $100. You might be able the buy one for less then the cost of the shaft.

If you are planning on dropping that 4.0 in your 2.5L Jeep keep some things in mind. I just finished this swap and it was not very fun to do at all. First of all you have to find 4.0L motor mounts and perches, the old perches then have to be cut out and the new ones welded in, since the 4.0 perches are about 4inches ahead of the 2.5 perches. Also, due to the fact that the AX-15 in one inch longer than the AX-5 you will need all new drivelines. You will also need the engine wiring harness and the computer. Not to mention the fuel lines will have to be extended, or replaced. The swap is quite involved, but I would say the reward is worth it. I will know when I get mine to run. Best of luck!
Vavs

AX-5 transmission and NP231 t-case

Smallblock Chevy or 4.3L V6 driveline can be cheaper and easier to install. When all said and done you'll have a better jeep than every other 4.0L out there, without a hacked up 4.0L install.

I all depends what engines you can find and for what price. I mean I found a 4.0 for less than I could get anything else, that is why I did it. Well, that and I didn't know you had to more the motor mount perches. I plan on getting a beefier frame later anyhow though. So, in my case it worked out good for me. I guess it just all depends.
Vavs

vavs I sent you a email with questions on the swap. I am getting ready to do the same to mine so please respond.

Thanks

Ok then, can everybody shoot me their opinion. Which would be easier? Drive terrain replacement(engine, transmission, and t-case) or axel swap to 44's. I just found out that a friend is practically giving away his 95 YJ with a 4.0HO. The jeeps only got 60K on it. The thing I would want is 44's under it. Which is easier, not that I'm lazzy, I just want to have a more capable rig, quicker. Thanks for the input.

leaf spring pop!!!

Swapping axles is a LOT easier than swapping a drivetrain. Jump on that 4.0L jeep, it'll be a lot cleaner than a 4.0L swap and fewer headaches.

Back