4wd problems after lifting!!

Nooch13

I recently installed a 2 inch skyjacker lift and JKS quick DIsco's. Today, I used the 4wd for the first time in the snow and man was it an adventure. I was better off in 2wd. It felt like the Jeep was "sidewinding" the whole time it was in 4wd. Would this be an alignment problem?? I never had it re-aligned after the lift.

You should generally get a alingment after the suspension is altered on any vehicle. Usually a toe-in is required for a lifted jeep.

Another issue, and I am no expert on TJ's but.. If it is a TJ, I think you need to get a bracket for the shifter to work properly. I have seen them for sale through a number of venders. I think they are required with both suspension lifts and body lifts.

Just a thought though!

hmmm, I have never heard that one before. It Appears that the 4wd is operationing properly, The tires stick out past the fender flares a good bit and they are throwing a good rooster tail of snow and up in the air. But this thing is dangerous right now. I actually put it back in 2wd to get to work! It was HORRIBLE in 4wd...

You MUST get an alignment after installing a suspension lift on a TJ, not required on a YJ. What kind of jeep is this?

Did you buy this jeep used? Possible it could have a front locker which may cause some crabwalking in 4wd.

You might have been in 4wheel Low? Might have neeb from the misalignment of the shifter. Again though, I am a YJ owner and not a TJ owner.

Did you only install a new lift or did you get some more aggresive tires also? That can play a big part of it. Mud tires are great offroad, in deep snow, mud and anthing else you put in front of them except snow covered roads. Unless your running mud tires that are heavily siped then I wouild expect your jeep to drive alot different on snow covered roads.

At least that has been my experience.

It is a TJ, but I had previously used the 4wd with no prob's at all...I installed the lift and Disco's right after christams, today is the first day that I have used 4wd since then...Thanks for the ideas, I didnt think an alignment would make that big of a difference...

I did put on new 31x10.5 in tires, but they are AT's. They should do OK in the snow...

Back