?73 cj5 extremely rough ride?

Caleb0863

hey my 73s ride is extremely rough.. i know my shocks are gone but ti seems like the leaf springs would take up a little bit of the roughness it feels like this thing has struts on it... is this all due to my shocks are what? or are my leaf springs gone as well?

Im guessing that its your leaf Springs. I have run into suspension problems with leaf springs before and new ones def fixed my Lumber Wagon ride on my old CJ

yeah maybe, somethings def gone though cause its horrible :???:! who makes some good replacement springs an ima prly go with some lifting ones...

My 97 is the first Jeep I've actually owned but because I'm umm, old, and been around a number of people who have had Jeeps over the years, I'm gonna say they're all like that. Try Skyjacker SoftRide springs, maybe that'll help.

im sayin ridiculous man.. like i know its not post to ride good by no means an i dnt expect it to but it rides like i say like it has struts on it like no give hardly at al when you hit bumps on pavement.. like just solid jars when u hit bumps... i know the shocks are gone because they look old as dirt and im pretty sure these are original leaf springs under it so? should i just replace the shocks an see what happens or should i replace the springs first?

The JohnnyO Principle Of Vehicle Repair goes like this:

If you're not sure what the problem is, begin with the cheapest alternative first.

So start off with new shocks. The more off-roady or heavy-duty the new shocks are, the stiffer they will ride. If you want a better ride, or at least as good as it gets in a CJ-5, then look at something like a base Monroe or Gabriel gas shock or Monroe Sensa Tracs. Or ask here for other peoples' experience. Myself, I'm not new to cars, 4x4's, or off-roading, but I'm kinda new to Jeeps.

If it still isn't good, then consider new springs. Also all the suspension bushings on a 36 year old vehicle are probably shot or petrified if they're original, so that's something else to consider.

Hey! I drive a CJ5 jackhammer myself. I've been dealing with it for a couple of years now, and it's caused all SORTS of problems. (Fan nicking the radiator, putting the battery through repetitive shock, etc.) Big question- do you have a FIBERGLASS body, or a steel body? I'm runnin the 'glass, and I think the difference in weight between the steel and 'glass is making my leafs seem too stiff.
I DID get results from breaking my shackle bolts free, and greasing them, I also checked my shocks, and they were still fine. I just thought I'd pass on what few tokens I had. Hope it works out, and PLEASE let me know if/WHEN you fix it.

How much air do you have in the tires? let some air out it's not a 8,000 truck.

Hello,I also have a 73 cj5.I did a shackle reversal system on it and that seemed to help with the ride.but it's still no caddy.

i have a steel body..will let u know if get it fixed! prly around 30lbs.. i checked the skyjacker soft rides and they dont show any for my model..

Little slow here, you have a 6" lift on this Jeep? If so, you will ride like a tank. The springs are very hard. If the Jeep has factory springs and the shocks are bad, are they dead? Does it bounce around just from your body weight or is it stiff and a board. Pull the front shocks, does it bounce from weight or is it still stiff as a board. If stiff, grease the shackles, while down there, grease averything else. seems silly I know, but you would be amazed on how often that is the last thing done. Once you greased it good (no shocks connected, bounce on the bumpers, work the grease in good. On my 73, we did this and amazingly, once I replaced the shocks, it handled the way it was supposed to, It felt like a jeep and not a tank. If the leaf sag, I would replace them and shackles too. I replaced my suspension about 3 years ago. Jeep sits proud and no probs still. Remember, KIDS LOVE TO GREASE THINGS. My kids grease the jeeps weekly, wether the jeep moves or not.

I agree with Weylyn. Considering you have 6" lift you do not have stock springs, they will be stiff to get that much lift. Also if it is an old lift (technology wise) it will be much stiffer than new lifts. If the springs are sagging you may be hyper-extending the shackles and bottoming them out on the frame. The shocks can very easily be tested by hand to see if they are good or not before just buying parts and throwing money at the issue. Just because the shocks are dirty or rusty means nothing as far as if they work or not. A seized shackle will also cause a stiff ride and greasing it and getting it free and lubed is a good free place to start.

Last edited:
Looks to me from yor pic. that you have stock or worn out aftermarket springs with a shackle lift of about 6". First thing, I bet that it's fun to drive down the road. Definetly to much shackle lift in the front. If your wanting to lower the Jeep a bit then go with some factory sized shackle's. Then get some new rubber bushing's for the front and rear of the spring's, this will give a little more cushion that polyurothane bushing's. If you can, get the greaseable shackle's and keep them greased, like said before, greaseing things make them ride better. You can also remove a spring or two form each pack of spring's to soften up the ride, but be careful, if you take to much out you'll have to contend with a lot of axle wrap!

I couldn't figure out what you meant by seeing a picture of his lift...lol
Now that I see it,,WOW that lift is fubar.

Post some good photos of your suspension and we'll tell you what you have.

you should bend down and watch your suspension while one of your friends goes to each corner of your Jeep and bounces on the bumper. You should be able to see the suspension travel normally. If you notice one spring or shackle that doesn't move, or that moves far more than others, that's your problem.

My bet is that you either have a frozen shackle or spring. In which case, you'd just need to take it apart and grease it.

If you are set on just replacing the shocks, make sure you measure your lift, and buy shocks that are the correct length. stock shocks from the local parts store will not play nicely with a 6" lift.

yes im talkin about the jeep in my avatar.. and i just put the shackles in all on a few weeks ago.. and before i put them on it rode like a tank.. the ride hasnt changed since i put the shackles an 35s on it. i know that much lift from shackles is a lil stupid but i mean this is not gonna be a jeep thats drove alot on the road or anything just somethin to play in.. im gna brace those shackles up an im gna brace the shackle mounts up.. if anyone knows where i can find some extended brake lines for the front it would be nice because they are 15 1/2 stock an im needing a good 23" 25".. i found the 23" with skyjacker but they are $100 a pair an im looking for something cheaper than that.. im gonna try greasing everything and pullin the shocks off and seein how it acts.. im pretty sure these are stock springs under it.. thanks for all ure answers so far

Back