78 CJ7 Starter replacement

SKCrosby91

Hello all! So my next weekend quest will be to replace the starter on my CJ7. The other day it was fine, started up no problems. For some reason, the starter just quit engaging. It would turn when I tried to start it, but it wouldn't turn the engine. Finally, last night, I tinkered a little and did more harm than good. It started to smoke and doesn't turn at all. I realize this is the starter that came installed, so it is 35 years old and I'm not upset that I have to replace it.

My questions to any who have done this before is do you have any recommendations as to what brand I should use, how hard is this project, and what pointers do you have? I appreciate anyone's input, so thank you in advance!

Honestly, unless you have a highly modified engine (i.e. high compression) or you'll be using your jeep way off the beat'in path (places where help is not around), I would just go to my local parts store and buy a reconditioned OEM starter for under $50 (with a warrenty to boot!). It's not hard to replace, in fact it will one of the easier repairs you'll make over time. Either make sure the key is not in the iginition or better yet, disconnect the positive battery terminal if you're really worried. You'll have one wire lug at the starter to undo and two mounting bolts. That pretty much it........

Back when I had my 85 CJ7 I'd replace the starter every year - usually happened in the winter when there was snow on the ground. I'd replace it with an Advance Auto Parts starter that had lifetime warranty. I'd just bring it back every year to exchange.

Like PoliceMonkey said, it's just about three bolts and your done. Pretty easy.

I just buy the lifetime warranty one also so if it gives me trouble, just undo the two bolts and two wires and away you go

I had mine rebuilt at a local shop, they put a new drive in it and bushings for $20bucks. I don't know if he cut me a deal or if that's what he'd have charged anyone...or if he charged me more because he knows me. It's anthor option anyway.

Back