79cj7 stuck in 4 low

79cj7steve

yea i just got a 79 cj7 as a project vehicle to work on well i got it and its stuck in 4 low and cant get it out any sagestions?

Dana 300 t.case?. try to roll the Jeep at about 1-2 mph with the transmission on neutral, shift the t-case.

If the rolling trick Steelheadz suggested doesn't do it jack up one front wheel (have the rear blocked for safety). Watch the tire as it comes off the ground. If your driveline is torqued up it will turn as you get it off the ground. Now you should be able to get it out of 4L. Check your tire sizes and pressures (to be sure you have all the same size tires). Since you just got the Jeep check the axle ratios (should be the same) in case someone swapped one out. The old transfer cases sometimes get stuck in low but generally you can get them out like Steelheadz said or, worse case, by backing up about 20 feet in a straight line, stopping, then shifting out. Best of luck - John

The driving backward 20 feet or so, then throwing transmission in neutral and then shifting the t-case has always worked for me. The original owners manuals that came with the old CJ's suggest this method.

thaks for the advice when its stops snowing here ill try that out

Snow and cold is why I left the mainland (or real world) and moved to Maui. Hope you get your case unstuck so that you can enjoy some snow wheelin.

yea i just backed it up 5ft and it shifted out then i went and had some fun in 9inchs of snow never even had to put in 4 wheel drive to

Snow and cold is why I left the mainland (or real world) and moved to Maui. Hope you get your case unstuck so that you can enjoy some snow wheelin.

W... was th... that... comment necess...ssary? :shock: <- blue because he's cold. :rolleyes: <- him, too, but he looks happy. Must be Canadian.

:?|

Oh yeah, I'm glad you got your t-case out of 4lo. It seems like every old jeep has their own trick to get it in and out of gear. My CJ goes into 4lo kind of tough, but it comes right out.

Back