87 yj power steering?

segator

My 87 yj has manual steering and I would like to put power steering on it. Has anyone had exp with this before? I know I would have to change the main steering box and shaft, along with a bracket to hold the pump. I am just trying to get a feel for what kind of pain this is going to be.

My 87 yj has manual steering and I would like to put power steering on it. Has anyone had exp with this before? I know I would have to change the main steering box and shaft, along with a bracket to hold the pump. I am just trying to get a feel for what kind of pain this is going to be.

Shouldn't be a huge pain. You should only need hand tools (including a Torx set, I think you need them for this) and a jack, a couple jackstands, and a 12-pack of your choice. I would also recommend you spend the $15 and get a Haynes manual for your Jeep, they are invaluable for in-depth jobs like this. You can grab all of these tools (except the beer, hah) and the manual at your local auto-parts store. The hardest step will be finding good parts if you go with used/junkyard parts, if you're serious about this I recommend buying new/reman OEM replacement parts from places like Quadratec if you can (steering is a major safety issue and you want to be sure.) There are also aftermarket offerings that you can explore for this that could be cheaper, don't forget that. After you get all the necessary parts you can basically just swap the steering boxes/shafts and bolt the power steering pump in. Running the pressure lines shouldn't be hard, you can consult an early-model YJ that has power steering as a reference. You can probably even get someone here to snap a few pics for you. Once everything is bolted in and the lines are run, pop on the new belt and go through the filling procedure. All in all I would estimate this to be a 7 or 8 beer job. It will probably take you three or four hours to do it if you've never done it before.

Thanks, I'm not scared to jump into something like this. Just have to get the correct parts for this. As for the 12", when your doing something like this you have to have what you have to have..

there should be no need for a torx set for this. I suggest going to the junk yard, finding a Yj with power steering and grabbing eveything, steering gear, pump, resivoir, lines, shaft, belt and adjuster (if applicable). then start the swap onto your motor, replacing things as you go (ex. the belt) if your jeep has a V belt system, look for a power steering system from a similar jeep. the later styles use a serp belt, the power steering pump is the point of adjustment for the belt. on the older V style I think it is the alternator instead, not sure though. thats why I put If applicable above.

Doesn't have to be a YJ. Most of the stuff from other AMCs with carbed 6 cyls will work too. My son's DJ (same as CJ since it's normal side steering) has a steering box from a Grand Wagoneer (he had to notch the frame slightly to make it fit) and the pump and hoses are from it as well (it was a 4.2L '85 I parted)

If it has a Vee belt, 4.2 and 2.5 use the same PS pump, brackets, etc. AMC Eagle even has the same setup.

I did a 76 CJ and we put a chevy pump to use in a pinch (was on a pick up with a blown motor)

Back