'89 Cooling system questions

robert644

Hello,

I purchased an '89 Cherokee a few weeks ago. The vehicle had an engine swap when I purchased it. While driving it, I noticed the temp gauge to be high, and pretty soon I heard the thing boiling coolant and shooting the coolant out the expansion tank. I read extensively on this 'Renix closed cooling system' and replaced the cap on the tank, which made no difference. I ran water through the block and radiator, removed the thermostat, and drove it for 20 minutes.

(Photo attached, forum won't let me include links)

This is a picture of the temp gauge at that time. The temp appeared to be about 180 while driving, and after stopping and idling for a minute, this is the gauge. Is this normal? I previously owned a '92 4runner, and the gauge on it never moved. Stayed right in the middle of the scale. After reading, about this vehicle, is this where the needle should be? 220 or so?

This is a video (9mb, sorry I don't know how to make smalled) showing the block and radiator being flushed. Does this look like a normal flow of water? I flushed the radiator by itself earlier, and the flow-through was similar.

/31127129@N08/3791553378/

Thanks! I am new to this, and this problem has me confused. I don't even have an owner's manual yet, or anyone to ask.

Attachments

• DSCN0216.jpg
    DSCN0216.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 573

89 huh ,
OK heres the easiest way to burp your cooling system drain radiator pop of the little neck on front of eng pull your thermostat out inspect easy way to check is drop thermostat in a pot of boiling water see if it pops if not replace if it pops let it cool and close before reinstalling it OK now for burping first thing before putting thermostat back in drop 2 alka seltzer tabs down the throat install thermostat reinstall throat dont forget to get a new gasket there only a buck in local auto parts store fill with coolant park nose down hill about 45 degrees remove coolant bottle cover run like this for around 20 min or so so it releases all air bubbles or keep doing this till bubbles stop if after the thermostat opens coolant should go down add a little water run till bubbles are gone put cover back on your coolant bottle and you should be good to go ,xjs are notorious for holding air in cooling system causing over heating this is the easiest way to solve your prob ,I own a 88 myself and this always seems to work .
let us know how it works out
john

Last edited:
Keep in mind that there are different thermostats available which open at different temps. 180 degrees is OK. There are also thermostats that open at 160. As long as you aren't overheating to the boiling point, you are fine. Make sure you have enough coolant vs. water for the environment where you live and use distilled water if possible when re-filling the coolant system after draining it.

Back