89 yj 4.2l retarded clutch

mcgrnr0013

i put a brand new clutch kit in my 89 yj (disc, pressure plate, release/throwout bearing, and pilot bearing) after i swapped it all out i can hardly get it in gear and when i do finally get it in gear it starts too pull. i've bled 2 quarts of brake fluid through it and cant get any air. then i changed my release bearing AGAIN and it drove perfectly for a few hours then i almost couldnt make it back home, no leaks brand new everything on it and cant even get out of the driveway now. does anyone have any idea what it could be???

Same thing happend to me in my cj. Did a complete clutch job,resurfaced the flywheel and everything. Could not get it in gear. Tore everything off couldn't find anything wrong. When I was putting it back noticed that the bell housing wasn't flush with the engine on the top. Turns out one of the old metal clamps that used to hold the wiring harness was wedged in there. I guess the gap was big enough to keep the clutch from working. Might be worth taking a look

Sometimes an air bubble gets trapped in the system and doesn't want to bleed out. If the Bellhousing isn't out of wack like 808CJ7 suggests, try opening the bleeder and pumping the pedal a few times and flushing the system and then bleed it like normal.

i dont see what else it could possibly be because i've changed everything from the master cylinder to the bleeder valve

bellhousing is fine, went and cranked it up after setting a few days and decided too try and drive it and it drove like its supposed too, for about 15 min then it got too where i wouldnt disengage, no fluid leaks. ugh.

Is the clutch slave inside the bell housing or on the outside. I remember reading in jp magazine that the internal ones were problematic. If its external, try and have someone engage the clutch while your under there and confirm that the fork is getting enough travel

My totally uneducated guess is it's the slave cylinder. My brother had 4 of 'em go out in under a year on his '93. Why?? who knows. Google it and there's a guy who rebuilt one out of really cheap, dependable parts (I guess, from reading his post, that the OEM part has a lot of plastic pieces = never good.).

it has the internal slave cylinder thats built into the throwout bearing.
and it will act fine for one day and start getting hard to shift, then i'll let it sit for a few days and it will shift fine again.

mcgrnr0013 said:
it has the internal slave cylinder thats built into the throwout bearing.
and it will act fine for one day and start getting hard to shift, then i'll let it sit for a few days and it will shift fine again.

I just found the issue of jp with the article in it. They say 87-89 with the Peugot transmissions have the problematic hydraulic throw out bearing. I know you replaced it. Maybe it's defective,but that would suck big time cause you would have to pull the trans again.

I just found the issue of jp with the article in it. They say 87-89 with the Peugot transmissions have the problematic hydraulic throw out bearing. I know you replaced it. Maybe it's defective,but that would suck big time cause you would have to pull the trans again.

that woudl suck X2 because i changed it all once when i put the whole kit in and i changed it again in my driveway about a week later because i didnt know what else it could be, i've been driving it and it seems better, i noticed that when i pump the pedal it is easier to get in gear- air bubble maybe?

If pumping the pedal makes it easier to shift, I would think that confirms its the hydraulics. I'd check the whole system over start at the pedal and work your way down to the slave. Check for worn out bushings, any cracks around where the master mounts to the firewall. Anything that is preventing the bearing to have full travel. Happy hunting

Back