89yj steering pump help

seniorseabee

I have an 89yj 4.2 islander with no power steering and i bought a pump and box with hoses. What i do not have is the brackets or what the brackets look like. mainly the bracket that connects to the water pump and the bracket that hooks to the manifold. good parts breakdown or a picture would really help.
also My rig does not have a serpintene belt just the V belt to the alt. The water pump does have the holes for a pump

Thanks

Go to a wrecking yard that handles Wranglers and see if they have one you can look at or maybe even sell you the parts. Might take some hunting but you are bound to hit on one eventually.

Just did the same with my 89 YJ but it has a serpentine belt. I found a front bracket in a salvage yard but had to make a rear bracket. I had a idler pulley and used the post on that to hang the new bracket. The pump I used was off a newer YJ which was supported by through bolts into the intake manifold which mine didn't have. It wasn't a difficult project.

You are not limited to Wranglers in looking for your brackets, anything with a 4.2 and v-belts should supply the brackets.

Thanks Everyone, Looks like i will wait till spring to hunt salvage yards. Bit cold here in maine. Average 0-10* this week. Appreciate the responses

Back