92 yj 4wd

Thatguy9988

Ok so I was out the other day just driving around and I went down a half way steep tall grass hill but as soon as I went on it I changed my mind so I put it in 4wd and the light came on but all that would happen when I tried to back up was my rear tires would spin. Both my friend and I looked and neither front tires were spinning. At first I thought it was the vacuum actuator that always breaks on these but everything I see people post they always say there dash light doesn't come on but mine does, so basically what I'm asking is can the vacuum actuator be broken but the dash light for 4wd still come on? Thank you for your help

Yes, your dash light can be on without the vacuum disconnect engaging the front axle. Your 4wd light switch is on the dash and vacuum operated. Earlier model YJ's had the 4wd light switch on the vacuum disconnect that was physically activated by the axle locking together for 4wd.

Take the vacuum disconnect apart and move the shift fork by hand, making sure it moves freely. Make sure you have equally strong vacuum in each line to the disconnect, vacuuming switching between the two lines when you switch from 2wd to 4wd.

Back