93 YJ Stalls when Coasting to a Stop

Jeepn4JC

I need a little help troubleshooting. My 93 YJ stalls/quits 80% of the time I am coasting to a stop generaly coming down from over 30 MPH. I have checked just about everthing including hooking up a diagnostic computer and found nothing out of whack.

The jeep will crank back up fine and I can drive it all day long as long as my starter holds because of having to restart it at every red light.

Has anyone had similar problems?

Please Help!!! [addsig]

The first thing I look at when they start stallin at stop signs and slow corners, is the EGR valve. It´s not always the problem, but often enough, it´s the first thing I check. Depending wether it´s stuck open or just a sometimes thing, it can also make a motor idle rough. Short of taking it off for a look see, if you have small fingers, you can push the diaphram (through the holes) in the back hard and feel for function and sticking.[addsig]

Did your crank sensor checkout ok.... when I had my 91 and I devloped a bad crank sensor it would die out of nowhere and start right back up... then it progressed to totally just not wanting to run...[addsig]

To MudderChuck: Your right that could be a problem. I have MFI though. Thanks for the reply

To UrbanJeep: I have cleaned and checked the crank sensor it seemed fine. No fault codes were present for that sensor so I am assuming it is fine.[addsig]

push in the clutch. JK

Is it a standard or automatic? Can you keep it running while in neutral or with the clutch pedal pushed in, while slowing down? Have you checked fuel filter (if you have one) or the fuel pump?[addsig]

To bigTlilODD:

It is a manual transmission. I have checked and changed the simple stuff - (plugs to fuel filter)

I believe UrbanJeep's suggestion may be the solution. I tried a new Map sensor to no avail but while in doing so I found that the stalling problem only happened after the jeep got warmed up (Outside temp dropped drastically yesterday making symptoms more noticable.) The chiltons manual says check the crank sensor with engine warmed up and it was way out of range. The diagnostic test missed it or couldn't check that kinda of problem. So it may operate fine at startup then go bad at running temp.

Thanks for your help. I will tell you what I find out this weekend. [addsig]

This is for the search engine:

I finally solved the problem. It ended up being some work I did with putting a custom dash in ( I know I left that part out).

Word of caution: If you install an Autometer Phantom Electric Speedo and splice into the signal wire of the original gauge, you must use the out wire to connect to the computer. Other wise the gauge will hog all of the signal and starve the computer even though it is still connected. The fault code took 10 cycles of driving to appear as well.

My Yj VSS from the transmission splits with one going to the gauge and the other going to the computer. Do not let this fool you if you begin to have problems as listed in my original message.[addsig]

Back