94 Cherokee dying-can't figure out why

jnf91

I have a '94 Cherokee 4.0 auto. Hot or cold, it shudders and sometimes dies when coming to a stop, sitting in gear, or shifting from forward to reverse. I have had it to two mechanics, and worked on it myself with no results and no change. I have replaced the fuel pump and filter, IAC, full tuneup, ignition coil, run some fuel injection cleaner, and done an exhaustive check on vacuum lines(visually, and by using brake clean). Once it is up off of idle it runs like a champ-never any funky behavior. It sets no check engine light when it acts up. The problem is intermittent, but it almost always does it when first started and backed out of the driveway-shift into a forward gear and it convulses and tries to die.

I've read through all the threads I could find here on poor idle and stalling, but they don't seem to occur hot AND cold, so I hope I'm not rehashing anything that's been covered. It has all the hallmarks of a vacuum problem, but I'm stumped.

if its at a stop, its most likely an 02 sensor ( oxygen sensor)

Try checking the ground that comes of the battery were it is bolted to the block. They get dirty and loose, it will play havoc with everything you describe.. Good luck.

Back