95 Wrangler stalling

bmoney

My 95 wrangler keeps dying out on me. I've replaced the fuel pump and filter, new oxygen sensor, new catalytic, new plugs and wires. I am beginning to suspect an electrical problem of some sort. Can anybody help?[addsig]

Try replacing your crankshaft position sensor.....it is on your bell housing (driverside near the top) its held on by 2 bolts....I had the same problem with a 93 cherokee and went through all the same headaches you did ...... the cost is about $12.50 from your local Jeep dealer. Should solve your problem....Let me know if that fixes the problem
[addsig]

Does it die out as if not enough fuel is getting to the engine or is it more like when you turn off your Jeep intentionally? What engine do you have? A little more description/info. would help.-Al[addsig]

I called the deal?er and the cost for my CPS would be $70.00. I have not made it over there yet. $70.00 is still not bad if it solves the problem! [addsig]

Well, the thing is that if it doesn't, you just wasted $70. Guys, correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't the Jeep not start at all when the Crankshaft Position Sensor go bad? I would not sepnd that money. I highly doubt that it is yout CPS. I feel that it is a faulty connection somewhere, possibly related to the CPS, but it is probably not the CPS. Just my 2 cents.-Al [addsig]

It seems like it may be running better now. Could it have taken some time for the computer to adjust to the new cat and oxygen sensor?
I did NOT buy the crankshaft position sensor.
Thanks to all for the helpful advice!

B[addsig]

The computer will take a couple of "starts" to get adjusted to the new components. If a ceartain component fails, the ECM (engine control module) goes into a safemode of some kind using a generic (fake) reading that allows the compter to function without the proper values from the sensor. Run your Jeep as you normally would, and your ECM will set values that are normal to your style of driving. Also, you may want to "reset" your ECM by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes. This will clear any codes that may have been stored in its memory. You will have to give the computer time( drive around town for a while) so it can get reprogramed. Hope this helps.-
al[addsig]

Since the Jeep is a '95, the computer may be OBD-II. If so, you'll need a scanner to clear codes or reset. Unplugging the battery only works on OBD-I (older) computers. :-D

-Nick [addsig]

That's right. Thanks for catching my mistake XJNICK. You can go to Autozone and have them check and clear the codes for you for FREE!!! -Al[addsig]

Back