98 GC 5.2l engine trouble

dustin g

I have a 98 grand with 5.2l is dying a slow death. It started running rough a week ago. It was bad enough to make my entire Jeep shimmy while stopped at a light and the check engine light came on. I took it in to have it checked and the code was a faulty injector so I had them run a fuel system clean and it ran great again. But showed a code for a misfire in the #3 cylinder. So they cleared the code ad all was good. Yesterday I started to drive to work and as I was pulling out of the garage it started again and by time I pulled back in the shimmying was back as bad as ever. And it smelled like it wasn't burning the gas as the exhaust smelled strongly of it. Any ideas on the problem and how to check it out? All not to mention the transmission that is about 10 miles from toast. This is scheduled to be fixed my the end of the month tho.
This is the very first time I have ever had engine problems with this Jeep which I have owned 8 years. It has over 260k miles on it and has always been strong and reliable.

With over 260k miles on it, I'd do a compression and leak down test to see what shape the engine is in first.

Wasn't a terrible fix. Turns out one of my plugs was cracked and my distributor was cooked so bad ash dumped out when it was off. All fixed up.

Back