A new Holley is on the way!

Deerhunter30

I have finally had all I can take from the Carter BBD carb. I am tired of adjusting it and/or cleaning parts every week to keep it running. It has to go! I know that a Webber conversion is the popular thing to do, but I know nothing about Webber carbs. I used to drag race and a Holley is easy to work on and change out jet, power valves and basically easy to tune to your needs. Therefore I ordered an adapter plate to mount a Holley on my stock intake, a Holly 350 cfm two barrell, some jets and power valves, and an air/fuel guage. My uncle had the same setup on his Jeep when he had the 4.2 in it and it worked great. This is the plan:

1. Using a vacuum guage, find out what the vacuum is at highway speed (70mph), then put a power valve in it that is two steps lower than that. Lets' say that I get a reading of 5.5 on the vacuum guage at 70 mph, then I will put a 3.5 power valve in. That way I will never be in the power valve at highway speed, thus getting the most gas mileage from the Jeep.

2. Use the air/fuel guage to dial in the jets on the carb. The air/fuel guage uses an O2 sensor to identify if the motor is running lean or rich. I just adjust jets until I get it to the ideal point.

This should improve the gas mileage as well as help out with passing the emissions test that I am required to pass where I live.

Cool. Any idea what this carbs reputation is for how well it runs at angles? Something to consider is a rubber fuel line from vent to vent (if it has two like the 4barrels) and then cut a notch at the very top. This keeps fuel from sloshing out the vents and into the neck of the carb, well, at most angles.

I'm going to check that out. My uncle took his to New Mexico hunting and had it at some pretty good angles in the mountains and told me that it performed far better than the Carter.

Back