AC Died / Now Won't Start - 04' Liberty 3.7L

KennyInPA

Opinions needed on my 2004 Liberty 3.7L. Yesterday while on the A/C setting, all it would do was blow warm air. When I would slow down, it would kick to cold air. After while it started to smell, almost like a burning plastic smell. Today, even at low speeds, all I would get it warm air as well. When starting up it would make a rumbling noise, and eventually go away. Now today when I go to start it, after driving almost 200 miles home from vacation, it now isn't starting. Here is what I get:

Looking at the compressor the one head is pushed out and it looks like a washer is loose as well:

e6d4c606-1.jpg

I'm thinking compressor for the A/C, but do you think not being able to start it is connected? I haven't tried jumping it yet. Thanks in advance!

Im not sure if i missed it, i saw some of the dash lamps turn on when you key on but i didn't see the needles on the gauges move, does it?. The symptom of not having any cold air coming out on the hvac during idle is most likely due to a low freon. The picture that shows the pulley and the clutch indicates a failure on the clutch part which could also seize up however, if thats the case, the engine would still turn over and start but will be followed by a loud screeching noise due to the pulley locking up IF that's the case. A no crank can possibly be a weak battery, bad starter, bad starter or ASD relay or a bad PCM. One thing to consider is if your Jeep is equipped with a SKIM key(Gray). If the tell tale lamp on the dash (red dot) lights up and stays on at all times after a key on, the security system maybe whats causing a no crank condition and should be addresed first.

Thanks SteelHeadz! I was able to get it going again today after jumping it. That lasted until I got home and it did the same thing again. Called AAA, tested battery and battery was fine. The tow truck driver thinks it's the starter, but they are taking it in to look at it tomorrow. All of the lights do go out once started. I'll update once I hear back from the garage.

Back