Advice Requested - Ordering a new Rubicon Unlimited

rhayder

I was looking for a vehicle for a while and having a hard time making a decision I have looked at BMWs,Subaru WRX STI,SRT4, and the Dodge Nitro. I am going to be a father soon but really didn't want to buy an SUV for that reason.

Just yesterday I realized that Chrysler had a lifetime powertrain warranty. This sealed the deal for me. I know I needed to buy a vehicle that I will keep forever. Jeeps are timeless. I used to go hunting with a guy that had a '53
willys jeep (great vehicle).

I had my last car a 280z for 15 years and would still have it if I hadn't let it go during a divorce.

So now I am buying a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. I chose this vehicle because I think It's a vehicle I can keep ofor at
least the next 30 years or more. Even if it is not my daily driver it will always be useful as a hunting vehicle.

Since I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time and don't want to be tempted by powertrain mods that might negate the warranty I decided to go with the Rubicon.

Here are the options I am looking at when I order my vehicle:

Dual Top = It seem cheaper to get both tops from the factory now than go with the aftermarket

Options not sure about:

Trailer tow group - I have nothing to tow now. But I might buy a boat or trailer for motorcycles. Is this an easy
after market purchase? If I get it now do I still get the 4.1 gears? or do I have to take 3.71 Should I get this?

Deep Tint Sunscreen - What is this? Doesn't the Dual Top option include tinting? Can't I buy $40 worth of tinting material and do this myself with a little patience? I and not sure this tinting is worth $300. Even if I have a pro do it.. maybe it's better to pay for this after market than finance it with my purchase.

Options I probably don't need:

Automatic Transmission - I heard complaints about when the auto shifts. I think manuals are more reliable. I don't mind shifting at all. I know of no benefit to an auto.

Power convenience group - I don't need power windows and locks.

Side air bags - maybe they save some on insurance but I might put aftermarket seats in someday and don't want to deal with air bags built into the seats.

Sound System - Crutchfield is my friend.. I would rather buy my own after market stereo.

Engine Block Heater - If my job takes me to a cold climate I can buy one at that time.

Remote Start - nice but I don't think they work with manual transmissions. Maybe aftermarket is easy also.

My final cost is going to be about $32k including shipping to S. Korea where I am currently working. At least I
save taxes. Same price as the BMW I was looking at but I think this is a better long term investment.

I think you answered your own questions for the most part.
I spent a year in Pusan, Korea. If you are in the military or a DOD civilian, how long will your stay be there? Are you sure you want to this vehicle there. I know how Koreans drive, and the traffic is ridiculous.

It's pretty much just all personal preference, although I will tell you that you can't really tint the non-tinted soft top windows. Pretty much your only option with them is replacement. So if you want them tinted I'd just got ahead and get them that way from the factory.

Nathan

To answer some of your questions:
Gear ratio: on the Rubi it is 4.10. I don't think a 3.73 is an option on the Rubi model, but more like an upgrade for the other packages.
Tow package: sooner or later you will use it...aftermarket racks are popular uses, not just trailers.
Air bags: you say you are going to be a father soon. Get em.

Might want to look into an extra cabin filtration/HEPA/SCUBA set for that thing. I spent two weeks in Daegu and never did get adjusted to the smell of the kimchi. Other than that, I thought the country was great.

Dual Top = It seem cheaper to get both tops from the factory now than go with the aftermarket

I've had a hard top in the past, and unless you have two adult males, that thing is impossible to remove. You'll need alot of storage space for it as well (they are big). As long as you aren't in a super cold climate, just get a soft top.

As to window tinting (on a soft top), I dont' think that you can do it, as the windows are plastic and flexable - a hard top is a different story.

Adding an aftermarket tow package will run you $134, plus another $50 or so for wiring
U-Haul moving supplies: Custom hitches

Back