Advise for the new guy

jchaney2

RE: New lift???

I am interested in buying a Jeep GC V8 2002 or newer come summer time. I have heard of brake rotor issues with warping often, any remedies for this? Any other advise on what to look for or look out for would be great.

RE: adding to a lift kit

If I am not mistaken you can up grade to a heavey duty break rotor and caliper made for comp. At least I tink I saw it done in an off road mag some time ago. I will dig through the stack in the out building and see what I can come up with. tug

Re: RE: Re: RE: Going newer... Got Questions.

There are a lot of D30 front axles plagued with a rotor warping problem, it's pretty hit and miss. I wouldn't let it hold you up from buying what you want.

RE: adding to a lift kit

Is it just the OEM rotors? Would regular replacement rotors fix this or is it caused by something other than materials? My 95 Country had some kind of recall for the rotors if I remember correctly.

cj suspension questions: what type of lift?

Some of the problem is the cheap rotors they used. Another problem is the cheap brakes they used too. You can't go to your local auto parts store and buy the $9.99 brake pads and expect everything to work good. The other brakes are more expensive for a reason. They not only give you better braking but the additives they use also allow for better heat disapation. The warping of the rotors are caused by over heating them. A third thing you can do it is mind the heavy right foot. That can warp the rotors quicker that anything no matter what you drive.

Hi,

derff96963 said:
The warping of the rotors are caused by over heating them.

I believe that it is overheating of the brake pads which causes problems. Basically, if the pads get too hot, very thin layers of material from them can fuse (get stuck) onto the surface of the rotors. Once this happens, the surface of the rotors are no longer perfectly flat. A combonation of this, and potentially glazing the pads from the high temperature will negatively affect the performance of your brakes.

This is why the quality of the pads is just as important as that of the rotors. I upgraded my Cherokee's front brakes to slotted rotors and "performance" pads, even though my existing cheapo pads were in good condition. The improvement in brake performance was very noticeable after I broke in the new pads/rotors.

Of course, having good quality braking components is just slightly more important when you're hauling around 1000 lbs. of lead :wink: :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Back