amc 232 ?

jolly_rogger

Hello, i could use some advice.
I have a 77 cj5 with a amc 232. I used to own a 65 amc rambler with the same motor infact i have enough parts to build about 4 ramblers left........ anyway when i bought my 77 cj5 i was excited due to the fact that i had so many spares but my excitment was short lived when i found out that the compresion diffrence meant i would lose 55 horse over the 65 amc 232. is there a diffrence in the height of the head that causes such a diffrence ? could a 65 head boost the compresion and give me back 45 horse ? would a 2 barrel intake from a 65 work with no mods and give me back an additional 10 more horse ? anyone got the specs releated to the heads ? thanks everyone

You may be able to use parts from a 258. A weber carb will help.

I doubt AMC changed the bolt pattern for that, so I bet the 65 head would fit. Check the compression ratio for a 77 232 compared to a 65 232. Maybe that will give you a clue?
Definitely try the 2 barrel intake with a suiting carb.

At some point they went to a cupped piston, if I recall... Compare your Rambler pistons to the newer Jeep ones. Back in the day I sourced many parts off of old Ramblers for my CJ :lol: . I'm pretty sure I had 67 Rambler manifolds and carb on my Jeep (compare the gaskets as a starting point). Also the Rambler distributor fit right in to eliminate the electronic ignition. - John

Back