anyone know how to make a snorkel?

YJnamedTJ

hey does anyone know how to make a snorkel? i mean someone on here told me to put one in and i was wondering how hard it is to fab one up ...also it is ideal for mud and water right? or should i not worry about it???

pvc pipe, just do what you gotta do to get it out of the engine bay... there are benefits of facing the intake forward, or facing it back... forward will help with a ram air effect... facing it back will help keep debris/water out while driving

Yeah, it's just a matter of relocating the air intake. Not sure if you would leave your stock air box in place with filter. I would guess so, but probably not required. Do a google search.

C

Re: translation needed

Do you have fuel injections or a carb? I had one set up on my CJ7. Best thing ever..............

Here are some pics..
image-missing.png

image-missing.png

I've seen a nice one on some guys jeep at the shop I deal with. He used flexable tubing which ran from the airbox, through the side of the jeep to a 90 degree joint pipe to some more flexable tubing which ran to ABS pipe up the side of the windsheild frame. For the head, he bought the head for an ARB Safari Snorkel. He also has a pre-filter head for it. He plugged up the stock air inlet location on the airbox and relocated it to the side which is the same as what came with my Safari Snorkel. If you run the hose through the side of the jeep, you'll have to relocate the washer fluid tank. My snorkel came with a kit to do this but it'd be real easy to do yourself. It came with a bracket to mount the tank on the side of the battery tray and longer wahser fluid tubes and wires for the pumps.

so no one here has a link i can go to and get some directions on how to fab up my own snorkel?

JarredYJ, The hose used was the one that came with the safari kit. It is about a 3" in diameter. I am still waiting on the end of hunting season to take more pics of the box built. Good luck trying to find a site to build one yourself. Best thing to do is come up with a concept mcuh like Safari snorkel... but with your own supplies. Put the pipe anywhere you want, but most likely you will have have to cut a hole somewhere is the hood or firewall. Godd luck it is worth to get one done. If you arein a lot of water.

Snorkels definitely have a purpose but it has been my experience that in water that deep you are going to have ignition/distributor problems. You may also be swimming.
I like playing in the mud and creeks like anyone else, but usually try to steer clear of the deep stuff. It is not worth it to have to go back and drain water out of your diffs and pack hubs.

what to do??

redrooster said:
Snorkels definitely have a purpose but it has been my experience that in water that deep you are going to have ignition/distributor problems. You may also be swimming.
I like playing in the mud and creeks like anyone else, but usually try to steer clear of the deep stuff. It is not worth it to have to go back and drain water out of your diffs and pack hubs.
If you do it right, you shouldn't have too many problems. Putting a snorkel on for the air intake alone won't fix all your problems. I have my diffs, transfercase and distributor all snorkeled into my airbox. As for the computer, I haven't come up with a way to seal it off permanently so I just use a plastic bag. I also have 2, 12 volt bildge pumps on the floor boards to pump out any water that comes inside. Remember, silicone is your friend when it comes to sealing out water. I have siliconed every piece I could find under the hood that might let water into the motor and used dielectric silicone on every electrical connection.

Experts help b4 she blows!!!!

Bro simple n easy here.Go to ur local hardwear store buy pvc pipe that the same size as the intake.Buy a sponge.Buy a end cap that will fit over one end of the pvc pipe.Then go home be carful and line up part of the hood with where the intake is.now.Get one of those saw things that are circular and go on a drill.get one the size of the pvc.Then cut right threw that damn hood.slide the sponge on the bottom half of the pvc then put that end over the intake.Just leave that bitch.then when its gonna rain or u have it parked put that cap over the open end and no rain will get in.Thats how u "rice"out a snorkal on ur jeep.

ITs 4:30 am and im bored sorry guys.lol

Here's a website address of someone who made a custome snorkel. The pictures don't work but there's a contact address at the bottom of the page if you want to email him. http://www.dsuper.net/~timf/Techarticles/snorkel.htm
Here's another site.
http://www.wildyoats.com/snorkel.htm
Here's another one that I really like. It's a Hummer style snorkel.
http://www.michiganjeepers.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/4/Number/359474/Main/66291 Here's a picture of it...
image-missing.png

Back