Are lift results typical?

90Xjay

I just finished my install of my Rusty's 3" add a leaf for my Cherokee.
I measured from the ground to the bottom of the fender in the center of each wheel well on the passenger side before and after and after some driving to settle things in, I found I gained 3.20 inches in the rear and 2.3 inches in the front, is this typical of what you all have seen?

Seems about right. I believe that the front and rear fender flares are at different heights.

Thanks, I just hope when I bolt on my 31's later this week, that they fit like Rusty's claims they will, I sure don't want to have to do any cutting.
I am really happy with how the lift turned out and the ride is awesome, I just thought I should have gotten 3" in front and back. BTW, thanks on the wheel advice, I had Discount order me some in for only $36 each. :lol: They say there is actually a back order of nearly 700 of those rims in the 5 on 4.5 (Jeep) bolt pattern. I guess everyone is 4 wheelin

well, when i put my 3" rustys' lift on it, i measured from the center of the axle to the bottom of the wheel well... all 4 measurements were the SAME!!! i was quite pleased...

you gained more lift in the back than in the front because your rear springs were sagged.

I ran the same lift with 30" tires, no problem, you'll be close. If you need a little extra room in the front, get 2 extra .75" thick coil isolators from the stealership. They are stackable, cheap, and work great to level things out or add a little more height.

What did your kit do to address the front track bar and the re-centering of the front axle?

BH,

Rusty's website advertisment for the 3" XJ rear add a leaf really does not address the issue of track bar or re-centering the front axle and frankly I did not know of the issue myself. I have bought new poly bushings for the front track bar and as soon as I bolt on the new tires I will install the bushing kit and head off to get an alignment. If they don't clear, my first call will be to Rusty's. I did install a transfer case drop kit and new lower control arms. The Jeep sets nice and level to the eye and looks good.

re

Look at both front tires from the front of the jeep, using the fender flare as a reference. Is the axle centered?

If you lift the front 3" and do nothing to the track bar or mounts, the track bar will pull the axle towards the driver's side. Some kits include a drop bracket for the lower mount, but these suck and only caused bumpsteer in our XJ when lifted 3". I threw the bracket away and redrilled the lower track bar mount about .5" towards the driver's side. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give more detailed help.

Lemme know how the axle looks now, side to side.

Bounty Hunter was right, my axle has pulled over to the driver's side after the 3" lift. You talked about re-drilling the mount, can you give details? Also, does someone make a longer pitman arm that can fix this? Mine looks original and I would not mind changing it anyway. The tech at Firestone who lined up the front said that the offset axle does not effect toe or steering, but it does look funny. :lol:

He's right, it doesn't affect steering but it's a little goofy. The easy/inexpensive fix is to simply drill a hole in the lower track bar mount, parallel to the stock hole and to the driver's side about .5" . Just eyeball where the hole should be with the lower mount unbolted, and drill away. Make sure the axle is centered before marking and drilling, do this by cycling the suspension by hand with the lower track bar bolt undone.

You can go the expensive route and buy an adjustible track bar, that's the way to go if you think you'll lift higher in the future.

full fiberglass doors with sliders

So the adjustable track bar is the better choice over a drop pitman because of the flexability to adjust longer if need be. I never thunk of that. If I do ever want to clear that issue up, I think that is what I'll do more than likley. The only real problem it does make for me is that my 31X10.50s barely rub on that side of the inner fender when I turn and back down a slope or drive up a slope and turn. Minor, I could just trim it up with a hacksaw I guess. Thanks for your info, It is nice having someone who has done it before you and knows what to expect.

Back