baCk YarD Snorkle PiCs

lethaldose

ok i went at it today to see how it would turn out ... and i could have looked alot better but i did bend the alluminum up some so the "show" apperence isnt top shelf but its gonna do what i need ... i still have some sealing to do then to mount the tube inside the cab and stuff my filter on ect... but this is the general idea of what i've done... total cost about 15 bucks the alluminum dryer pipe does good but is expensive and if you abuse it in just the right way it will rip like paper "lesson learned on the top part notice the dent" haha but anyway just thought i'd throw it out there i do have a pinch point where the seat meets the seat belt mechanism but i dented in the tube to give clearance and really dont think it will affect anything ... but hopefully it will work :D

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Do you have kids? I know one of mine would flatten that dryer vent tube as soon as they stepped into the Jeep.

We did something kinda like that to my buddys cherokee but we ran it out the side of the front fender, any way point of the story. We went to a plumbing store and bought some plastic tube with wire coiled thru it and you could stand on it and not crush it and it was very hard to poke a hole thru. You might want to look into something like that , the dryer hose isnt going to hold up well or be water proof for long. Oh and the tubing we bought was pretty much the same size as the dryer tube. I know we spent less that 20 bucks on it .

Do you have kids? I know one of mine would flatten that dryer vent tube as soon as they stepped into the Jeep.

not yet but very sooN lol ... yeah the noise i think will be very present but small price to pay.... i also thought about the fragile state of the alluminum so i devised a very cheap but effective idea ... i wrapped the tube in one layer of duct tape followed by 2 layers of black tape this added ALOT of structural integrity and in the pinch area i went an extra layer thick just as protection.... i'm finishing up my mounting tomorrow and i might bend up some sheet metal to place over the "stress points" where people might give them a crunch

(old hillbilly drooling...................)

always loved the "make me own" ingenuity!!! Just hope she stays waterproof..........kinda defeats the purpose if it doesn't! Good luck and have lots of fun!!!

(old hillbilly drooling...................)

always loved the "make me own" ingenuity!!! Just hope she stays waterproof..........kinda defeats the purpose if it doesn't! Good luck and have lots of fun!!!

the pipe seems very solid but the tape is lil extra insurance and i've also went the extra mile with liquid tape'n all the exposed wires , also the backs of the exposed connectors and RTV'd the intake seals just as a lil extra ... i cant get a good wrap right up to the firewall is my only concern so i'm hoping tomorrow i can devise a lil more .. thanks for the encouragement i'm back in the sticks here and money aint east to get so do what you gotta do haha

amen LOL i wish i had some mil spec black 100 mile an hour tape but alas no LoL

one question...does it even stick up any higher than the top of the motor? Seems like if the plan is to go through deep water you'll want the end of the snorkle up near the top of your roof.

thanks alot! not pro but resonable for a first time first attempt at it ... heres the final pics of it all done up ... got a few lil odds and ends to tie up but this is basically finished product

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

I am a little lost here. I know we want the intake up high but at the risk of restricting air flow? Would you not be better using pvc pipe. This would be smooth inside and alow air to flow smoother. More air more power!!!! The money you just saved on a cheap snorkle will definitly cost you way more at the GAS PUMP. Also the snorkle should be outside of the passenger compartment. That thing is gonna suck all of your heat or a/c right out. An engine is an air pump. Also when the engine is shut off your gonna smell gas.

I am a little lost here. I know we want the intake up high but at the risk of restricting air flow? Would you not be better using pvc pipe. This would be smooth inside and alow air to flow smoother. More air more power!!!! The money you just saved on a cheap snorkle will definitly cost you way more at the GAS PUMP. Also the snorkle should be outside of the passenger compartment. That thing is gonna suck all of your heat or a/c right out. An engine is an air pump. Also when the engine is shut off your gonna smell gas.

Yeah, I gotta agree. I mean, it's your Jeep to do with what you want, but if that's the final resting place for your intake, it would appear that it is actually lower than the airbox. So, I guess my question is, why would you want to increase airflow resistance, make the air travel further, and lower the intake point? Snorkels, so I thought, were intended to raise the intake above the original point for deep water crossings.

if i'm in water that deep its going to be waist high for the person in the seat which is something i'm definantly not going to be doing .... i dont think i'll see a real problem with performance or gas mileage cause with the stock box and a fram i got 19-20 MPG out of the 4.0 ... the noise isnt as bad as i first thought and i've not had a problem with smelling any gas ... i just couldnt see paying 300 bucks for directions to cut a hole in your fender and run PVC through it i mean give it they do look good and are neat but thats alot of cash to throw around ... i saved myself from drilling the fender and having drain pipe come out which is not something i wanted to drive around with cause this is a daily driver weekend wheeler .. so i wanted something in cab ... i mean i could have ran it way up on the roll bar but whats the point if i'm in that deep i dont need to be in it right now

if i'm in water that deep its going to be waist high for the person in the seat which is something i'm definantly not going to be doing .... i dont think i'll see a real problem with performance or gas mileage cause with the stock box and a fram i got 19-20 MPG out of the 4.0 ... the noise isnt as bad as i first thought and i've not had a problem with smelling any gas ... i just couldnt see paying 300 bucks for directions to cut a hole in your fender and run PVC through it i mean give it they do look good and are neat but thats alot of cash to throw around ... i saved myself from drilling the fender and having drain pipe come out which is not something i wanted to drive around with cause this is a daily driver weekend wheeler .. so i wanted something in cab ... i mean i could have ran it way up on the roll bar but whats the point if i'm in that deep i dont need to be in it right now

yeah, that's cool, but I guess my question is why do it at all? I mean, if you're not going into any deep water, I don't see the point. Besides, the point where it enters the firewall is actually quite a bit lower than the airbox, and if that should get a hole in it from a wayward rock or hidden pointy object, you'll be screwed in ordinary puddles anyway.

yeah, that's cool, but I guess my question is why do it at all? I mean, if you're not going into any deep water, I don't see the point. Besides, the point where it enters the firewall is actually quite a bit lower than the airbox, and if that should get a hole in it from a wayward rock or hidden pointy object, you'll be screwed in ordinary puddles anyway.

yeah i had thought about that today .... only reason i did it was where me and my buddy wheel theres a few huge water spots and rivers to cross otherday i went into one and caught his wake which drowned my cone air filter and almost choked off the motor after that i decided i would rig something up .... after i field test this thing and dont like it i'm not out much and can rivit a patch of sheetmetal and seal the hole up and just save for a real deal snorkle

yeah i had thought about that today .... only reason i did it was where me and my buddy wheel theres a few huge water spots and rivers to cross otherday i went into one and caught his wake which drowned my cone air filter and almost choked off the motor after that i decided i would rig something up .... after i field test this thing and dont like it i'm not out much and can rivit a patch of sheetmetal and seal the hole up and just save for a real deal snorkle

(hillbilly drooling again!!)

Back