Ball Joint

TG56

I have to replace the upper ball joint on my Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. RockAuto offer many type on different prices . What can you guys recomend . I dont´thin I need heavy duty type.

I have no idea. I have not had to make that repair yet. I would go with the least expensive if they are all the same

What ever really, years ago I would have said Moog or nothing, but the last couple sets I have installed went to junk way to quick. It has been a long time since I have done D30 ball joints, but I believe in order to do the top, you need to press out the bottom, so since you need to press them out, might as well replace both upper and lower. I would check to verify that, it might be the other way around, inorder to do the bottom, you need to remove the tops.

I've done quite a few ball joints on my TJ (it's a long story), and I'm not as big a fan of Moog - although they seem to be what everyone likes. I'm happy with the Raybestos I put on this last time.

I'm with Johnny - change them both out while you are there, especially if you have to rent the ball joint press.

Here's my howto - http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/31462-jeep-wrangler-ball-joint-replacement.html

You should try and rent the Jeep specific cup / kit if possible - it looks like this:
Amazon.com: OTC 7894 Ball Joint Service Adapter for Jeep/Dodge: Automotive
It's hard to see from the photo, but one of the cups is at an angle. This is because the knuckle on the D30 is at a slight angle, and when you go to press the new ball joint in, it will want to go in at an angle. This kit isn't required, but it makes your life easier.

The consensus out here in AZ is synergy makes a better ball joint than Moog. When I did mine I put in Moogs but its been a few years. So far no problems. ....

Thank you guys for your reply I have already ordered all the four ball joints an decided to buy Dana 30/44 Spicer .Thank you TerryMason for your How to thread it will make this easier for me.

Thank you guys for your reply I have already ordered all the four ball joints an decided to buy Dana 30/44 Spicer .Thank you TerryMason for your How to thread it will make this easier for me.

Terry is THE MAN!

Back