belt squeeeeel?

Ragtopman

My 91 4.0l yj makes a squeeling noise intermitently when giving the trottle. Sometimes it does it on start up, sometimes not, some times comming out of a light, sometimes not, sometimes shifting get the pitcure. I have tightened the belt but nothing. Could this be something else or should I just get a new belt?

~Art

if you're sure its tight, it may be time to change it. to check for tightness of a serpentine belt, it should be able to twist about 1/4 turn

make sure its not too tight, you should be able to push down on the belt if its a serpentine, also you can use some of that belt dressing on it. also i would check the AC compressor clutch and make sure its not locking up and causing the squeal, that happens sometimes.

When in dought change the belts. They do not cost that much and tyhe piece of mind is great knowing all hoses and belts are fresh. tug

Might also want to roughn up any pulleys that might look a little glazed over, that might help. I seemed to be going through about 3 belts per year, they would last about 4 months, then start squeeling. I didn't know at the time that there was another brand of belt that was close to half the price. I tried one of the cheaper belts and it's been in there over a year now with no problems.

Thanks, for the info I going to just change the belt its not that old which is why I asked. No AC. So off to the store I go

Back