Best Mechanics tool set

rielly

Anyone know of a good mechanics set that doesn't make a lot of noise every time you hit a bump? I'm looking for one to slide under my back seat in my CJ.

Thanks,
Tom

I've got a small craftsman set...it doesn't make too much noise..but you can still here it. I wrap mine in a towel...it helps ALOT.

You could also get some Foamies which is hobby foam that comes in thin sheets, and put it beneath the tools.
I like Craftsmen. They're nice and made in the USA.

My personnal preference is Snap-on. Made in the U.S. with a lifetime warranty. For quiet tools, i would pick Tyco.:lol:. Collin has the right idea.Foam.

OK....the best mechanics tool set is the one that gets the job done right and easily. I am sixty years old and was first a professional mechanic before I was a Jeeper. Sure Snap-On has better quality when it comes to metal content and fabrication...so does other tool companies like Matco and MAC tools. BUT, not every company makes the same style wrenches as an example. You buy the tool that can fit the situation. If you need narrow jaws on your wrench and Matco is selling the size you need,,,,you buy it! If you shave down your wrenches to make it fit the job, you lose strength! That results in damaged hands. I,definitely, would not buy anything made in China or Asia. Their metal fabrication is inferior in composition.
When I was a youngster, it was a smart thing to find a master mechanic and let him be your god father in the trade. Jeep forums are good but limited.

The best way I found to carry a a good assortment was in a ammo box, and make wooden trays that fit inside. My fellow jeep had one and each tray had string handles to pull them out. Using shop towels he then padded each tray as he stacked them.

As for brand names...I think I carry about 10-15 different brand names in my collection, from Snap-on, Matco to craftsman. I look for quality since there is no room for error on the trail when you need them.

The case i use is quite.It is like a briefcase but has a few trays with straps and hoops.I can fit everything I need in it and no rattling.

As far as brands i agree that the china stuff is junk,but works good on the trail,where i seem to loose them.Either I drop them or let someone use it and never get back.My better tools are craftsmen and stay at home.

That's what I meant... what case or set doesn't rattle. Tell me about this one with straps... its just a suitcase to put your stuff in? What do you do about sockets? I have a craftsmen set with drawers that are molded to hold sockets but they rattle constantly.

Thanks,
Tom

Um Steel I don't use the ammo box myself, the blue TJ in my little group does.
I found a tuff box at Home depot that just fits in the trunk area with my hide-a-trunk. It has a pull out try that has my travel socket sets in steel clip racks and glued down "U-Clips" to hold down my ratchets. Then I pack the top with cotton towels that I get out of my wifes Hair Salon....a never ending supply.
All my wrench kits, allen wrenches and speed wrench's are in roll-up canvas thingies from the various MFG's. the rest is packed with spare parts.

Pelican has this Mobile Tool Box/Chest that I've been drooling over for some time now but as with most Pelican products it is expensive. The nice thing about it, besides being dang near indestructible, is that it is totally configurable to each users needs.

If nothing else, it's worth checking out...

NEW Pelican 0450 Mobile Tool Box from Pelican-Case.com

swps_2043_76053071-2.jpg

04501-2.jpg

04503-2.jpg

-Phil

Yeah, but think of all the doughnuts you can store in it..:lol:

I prefer MAC but on the trail I carry craftman because they are affordable, if I loose something, a trip to sears will replace it and they come in the box that holds everything pretty much where it needs to stay.

I also run a small craftman set on mine... And I dont worry about noise anymore. Between the engine, exhaust, tires, and every other thing rattling in my Jeep, I doubt my attention will be set on the tools! Besides, that's what the killer sound system is for; just drown every noise out!

WOW :?| from both ends of the spectrum Pelican cases at 400+ clams or ammo cans that can be had at garage sales for a couple bucks. I use a HD Husky nylon case for my tools. Since it's jam packed there's no rattles.

Just use wrench rolls and put them into your box of choice.

Back