Borla Exhaust Installation

JeepMonkey

So I'm not sure how long the instructions say this project is supposed to take, but I just spent the whole day taking the old stock exhaust manifold off. :cry: I didn't even get to the point of putting the new header on! First of all the 4 bolts on the under side of the manifold are HELL to get to. Then the instructions say to unbolt the old manifold from the y-pipe to get them off......FAT CHANCE! You can hardly get to the bolts when the pipe is completely off the truck let alone when it's still attached to the engine. I ended up disconnecting the front driveline and dropping the whole exhaust to get it apart. :sawzall: Plus, I had able bodied helpers. We're all somewhat mechanically inclined enough to do this work and it was a PITA! I guess I'll be spendin the next couple of days putting it back together. I was able to bribe todays helpers with bbq and beer, but I'm sure they aren't fallin for that trick again! :twisted:

Has anyone here done this mod and do you have any tips? Aye carumba my hands are so sore right now.....I've worked on cars since before I could drive (20 years at least) and I've never busted my hands up as much on one job as I did today.

Well, that's all for the night. I'm going to cry myself to sleep.....actually I'll probably fall right away. I have a few pain killers leftover from when I had my wisdoms pulled last week. :p

Old exhaust can be a pain for sure.
I assume this is a 4.0 you were working on. When I took my manifold off ages ago, it went pretty quick with an air ratchet and some WD-40. You need an assortment of extensions and universals sometimes. I have worked on exhaust collectors where I had to use two 12" extensions and a deep socket to reach where I needed.

Ok....! After 3 days of hard labor and a weeks worth of heavy thinkin I've finally got the Jeep back together. I gotta tell ya for the amount of work/time that went into this project I'm pretty dissapointed with the outcome. It doesn't sound nearly as good as I hoped it would. I guess there's just no substitute for a V8 with that deep rumble sound. Of course it may sound a lot better when I do the cat back exhaust, but I'm not lookin to start any more projects just yet!

Best piece of advice........Have it professionally installed!

Back