break pedal problem

Funzy

every thing is new on my cj7, from the master to the front caliper and rear cylinder.
i have bleeded my master and line whit no air ... i pump it up and its ok wait for a little
and the i can push it all the way down. i really dont know what to do. i have bleeded my
break several time in search of air but it still the same :-x

please some one help me ... :-? [addsig]

Are you bleding to the wheel that is the most distance from the master? tug[addsig]

if you have any fitting that is not tightened, even if its not leaking fluid, it can still suck air.. we're workin on a ford ranger right now with a bad fitting, its doing that... plus... what are the new parts, if you used rubber line, it can flex easily, your pressure can go into those[addsig]

Check that the calipers are not on upside down. Just happened to a friend of mine that replaced both calipers on an XJ, couldn't get any brake pressure.[addsig]

I had a problem with my brakes 3 weeks ago while 400kms away from home up in the mountains on a trip with our local 4 wheel drive club. My passanger side brake caliper seized up. We made it off the trail and to the autoparts store 20 minutes before they closed. We changed the caliper in the parking lot and blead the brake lines. We thought everything would be ok. Turns out after changing the caliper the brake pedal would go straight to the floor but I would get a hard pedal if I pumped the brakes about 10 times. Once I let my foot off the pedal for more than a few seconds, it would just go straight to the floor. It was the weekend and the autoparts store was closed the next day so we either had to park it, get it towed or try and drive it. Luckily we had our CB's so my friends drove about half a mile in front through the mountains and told us of all the speeds and turns. I started pumping the brakes long before the corners to slow down. It was an interesting drive. When we got back and I had it looked at, it turns out we blew the master cylinder while bleading the brake lines. My buddy (also my mechanic) told me that when bleading brake lines if you let the pedal go all the way to the floor, especially on older, more used brake cylinders you can blow the master cylinder. The piston inside the master cylinder is used to moving only a certain distance and when you push the pedal right to the floor, that piston moves past it's normal spot and blows the seals inside the master cylinder. Mabye this is what has happened to your brakes.

edited by: Craig, May 24, 2003 - 07:09 PM[addsig]

I had the same problem on my yj and it turned out that one line was still leaking air. Couldn't tell by looking cause there was no fluid dripping. I knew where it was cause i didn't replace everything i was just fixing where i broke it.[addsig]

One more simple qanswer is to use a bleeder kit that pumps fluid in from the slave cyl (or caliper) UP to the master, these are relatively inexpensive (like $35 at autozone) and work like a charm. Waaay less mess and there is no way to have residual air in the system if you are pushing it all to the top, not to insult your intelligence but do this through all four wheels until you see no more bubbles at the master...

BUBBA[addsig]

Back