Bumpers for TJ Rubicon

joejeepny

Its time to start working on the Rubi. Can someone recommend a good rear bumper that can take a beating. I would like to here from people who have been using there bumper for a year or two and are happy with it . I would like a tire carrier, clevis mounts, H.D. Hitch reciever, good protection, Maybe Jerry cans. The main thing is it shouldnt fall apart in a year. Every tire carrier I have had broke off. It should be able to take a good shot like hitting a tree with the tire carrier. (If you were with me at Paragon you know what I am taliking about). Hey guys help me out.

Gas prices poll

wow!! Had to bump this post back to the top. Not one reply. No one has a rear bumper that they would actually recommend.

You've got plenty of people reading it... 105 views as of this morning. But no one has one to recommend. Sorry, dude. I'm a bumperette man.

C

Make your own so you know its limits! Thats what I'm doing, of course it helps if you have access to a welder and a bunch of steel. A buddy of mine is a mechanical engineer and he is helping me design it.

If you don't want to make your own, warn makes a bumper/tire carrier that looks pretty beefy, it holds a 36" tire so its gotta be! The down side is it's a little pricey... over $550.

A few of the guys in our group are running warn rear bumpers and tire carriers. They are an awsome bumper just pricy. Then again most of the rear bumper and carrier packages are. There are some good ones but most of us have built our own. They seem to be bay far the toughest. There are two brands that I can tell you to definately stay away from......Olympic and the best top bolt on carrier. Both absolute garbage. The olympic stuff ranks right there with steel horse and the best top carrier that is a bolt on.....well two guys have had them and the both of them ripped out of the back of their jeep driving down the road. Split their tubs open like a sardene can. Hope I was a little help.

warn rear are the best, and get the optional tire carrier... the only one i've seen that is better, is the "Cdillac Bar" made by the presdient of our club... long story. He doesnt make tooo many of them, so don't hold your breath. THE SECOND BEST IS THE warn, and then the "canyon rock crawler" at 4wheel parts. It is only like $99 and a durable bumper.

I have the olympic rear bumper with a 2" receiver. I chose this one cause it was a rated bumper for towing and not just extraction. I am going to fabricate my own spare tire carrier to be incorporated into the bumper.

Back