Can water effect my transmission?

wjvose

I posted this question before with no answer. I recently had to replace my Auto trans. after only 40k miles. A couple of weeks prior to the thing crapping it out I was doing some serious mudding, and went through a good stretch (about the distance of 2 telephone poles) of door jam deep water. A buddy said that that is what did in the transmission? Any thoughts?
[addsig]

Large amounts of water in the transmission will emulsify with the oil and do BAD THINGS. Water-contaminated oil does adhere to surfaces as well, and bearings and gears don't live long without a protective film of petroleum. I think that water in any of your fluids would really hurt the Jeep

You can usually tell if there's water in the oil/trans fluid because it will look milky

Terry

[addsig]

I watterlogged my '97 Jeep a few months ago (see "Crazy Jeep pics"-the last water one). It sat in the lake for a good 10-15 minutes before I was pulled out and the water was up to my seats. Fortunately, I didn't do any damage. I did, however, immediately change out the transmission fluid, oil (twice-just to be on the safe side), differential fluid and spark plugs. I was fortunate enough not to get any water in the air intake so I was safe there. It's been 5 months since and no problems. Chances are, something else did your transmission in unless you just took on huge amounts of water and sprung a leak somewhere.
[addsig]

Back