Carpet: In or Out?

chrissn2001

I'm going to get my Jeep painted soon. What's your opinion? Should I leave the carpet (10 years old) in or take it out and have the floors painted too? If you want to elaborate on reasons for either, please do, but you can just give a simple yes or no. Thanks

Take the carpet out. First it's old, second then the painter can do a complete job. Carpet can always be added to a painted surface but paint can't be added to a carpeted surface.

I would yank that carpet :twisted: out faster than you could say :twisted: SHAG!! I would either have the paint shop paint it or color matched Rhino-liner or other spray-on bed liner. That way you won't have to worry about the carpet getting dirty and smelling and what not, just pull plugs and hose it out. :shades:

The first mod I ever made was to toss the carpet.

Love the option to hose the mud out.

Floor pan does get a little warm sometimes, but I rarely drive a stick shift with flip flops.

Sound deadening is only needed if you have a really loud exhaust.

The first mod I ever made was to toss the carpet.

Love the option to hose the mud out.

Floor pan does get a little warm sometimes, but I rarely drive a stick shift with flip flops.

Sound deadening is only needed if you have a really loud exhaust.
mines stock and i am insulating the top too.
road and drive train noise are loud enough that i wouldnt even consider installing a stereo.

Last edited:
First thing I did too was remove the carpets - back when the Jeep was brand new... Just remove one drain plug in each floor pan so you have the Flow-Through design. No carpets, no mats, no worries - just hose it out... Best of luck - John

I took my carpet out and Herc'ed the inside of the tub. (Herculiner: do it yourself, roll-on bedliner found at Wal-Mart for about $60). You will also need an aditional quart for about $40, botle of acetone...about $10, 80 grit sand paper $5, and masking material. Oh! and a REALLY good set of gloves, my hands were black for a week. So far I really like it. Herculiner has a grit to it, so you don't slip around when it's wet and muddy inside the rig. I can pull my drain plugs and hose my Jeep out. Also, I would swear it has a better sound dampening quality than my worn out, paper thin carpet had. I've even heard of people using rhino, linex, etc. for spraying in their trunks instead of dynamat for those big booming sound systems, so maybe there's something to it. Anyway, if you decide to go through with it, it will cost you less than $150 and an afternoon. My only advice is: Make sure you do the PREP WORK!!!! If you don't sand everything down then wipe it with acetone, the Herc will eventually just flake off. AND, make sure you take your time masking everything off that you don't want Herc'd...This stuff is gnarly and doesn't like to come off seat bealts...i can tell you I learned the hard way.

Anyway, Hope that helps, good luck and have fun.
-Boze

mines stock and i am insulating the top too.
road and drive train noise are loud enough that i wouldnt even consider installing a stereo.

You dont need a carpet; just a louder stereo!!! I ussually have mine up to a level were all the other sounds just drown out... Great for driving solo, but not so great to talk with the passanger while driving, though.

.... loud enough that i wouldnt even consider installing a stereo.
Well there you have it. Prolly why I still have no tunes, & prolly won't.:D

First thing I did too was remove the carpets - back when the Jeep was brand new... Just remove one drain plug in each floor pan so you have the Flow-Through design. No carpets, no mats, no worries - just hose it out... Best of luck - John

That's the ticket!8)

With a bikini top, the wind alone drowns out all the voices..........
...........even "The Voices"!!!:shock:

Works for me. Never was much for blah, blah, blah.:lol:

I've been drive jeeps and diesels most of my adult live; can't hear a damn thing anyway.

Rock concerts didn't help either!:D Ask me how I know.

Back