Carter

blakhole73

I would like to know how to cure the problem that Carter carbs have on 258 I6. This is really annoying when first starting the jeep. Thanks for any recommendations these truly are crap carbs, but hellacious motors

http://jeeptech.com/engine/carter.html
I don't know what the problem is, but from what I've read, a nice rebuild and doing what this site says really makes the Carter not so bad. I have a mc2100, so I don't know much about the Carters.
Also, The "Nutter" Bypass that makes the engine a straight up engine. Just a carb, ignition, and choke. Again, my Jeep already had the Nutter done, so I have no experience with the action, just results...

A buddy of mine put a motorcraft 2100 on his yj recently and he says the difference is night and day.

is the 2100 a direct bolt on? I have an 81 CJ5. I assume that one could be found in a junk yard and that would be pretty cheap. Thank you for all the responses

I still have my Carter Carb and it works great....I might be able to help you out with your problem but you never really said what it was.

It does not cold start worth a hoot, on low end it is a dog, and the rpms seem to be limited. Also it runs way to rich, I have not upgraded my ignition yet because i cant find an hei distributor (i poor boy alot) so need one from junk yard. This would cure some of the woes im sure but the carb seems to have some issues. I have cleaned the jets it helped some but the choke is all jacked up on my carb. Once i start it i have to tape the choke wide open when going 4 wheeling. So if anyone can diagnose from this explanation please help, thank you for your responses.

No I have even ran new ones. It is puzzling to me, but i have no expertise with carbs. I just think that it is a lost cause but i hope not, i can try the cleaning suggestion and see if that improves the performance. That wont happen until thursday though, so keep sending me ideas i am open to any suggestions. I did find a 2150 1.08 for about 35.00 so if i have to go that route it wont hurt the pocketbook to bad. Social services = not very lucrative LOL. Thanks for responses.

Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem
I don't know what the problem is, but from what I've read, a nice rebuild and doing what this site says really makes the Carter not so bad. I have a mc2100, so I don't know much about the Carters.
Also, The "Nutter" Bypass that makes the engine a straight up engine. Just a carb, ignition, and choke. Again, my Jeep already had the Nutter done, so I have no experience with the action, just results...

No I have even ran new ones. It is puzzling to me, but i have no expertise with carbs. I just think that it is a lost cause but i hope not, i can try the cleaning suggestion and see if that improves the performance. That wont happen until thursday though, so keep sending me ideas i am open to any suggestions. I did find a 2150 1.08 for about 35.00 so if i have to go that route it wont hurt the pocketbook to bad. Social services = not very lucrative LOL. Thanks for responses.

Have you tried Collin's suggestion? , it seems to me that a process of elimination needs to be done to eliminate some issues you may be having on your carburator. that link Collin has provided has some diagnostics you can perform that's relevant to idle and start up concerns.

Put in HEI distributor and cleaned the carb, all is well now. I guess that I just needed to get busy and quit looking for a easy fix. Thanks for all your help

Back