changing shocks and springs

01jeepgc

Hello, I am brand new to this forum but know I will get lots of good info here. I recently purchased a 01 GC Laredo for my daughter. It has the I-6 and 105K on it.

There seems to be a lot of movement cornering and going over bumps that make me suspect the shocks and springs need to be replaced, as a start at least. So, my question is what kind of shocks and springs would be recommended and how difficult is that as a do it yourself job?

I also own a 99 Chrysler 300M and belong to that forum as well. I know that the info you can get from these is so increcibly helpful and has saved me lots of money!!

Mark

pull the shocks, and see if they still have a charge to them... they are gas.. and if depressed, the should be stiff to do so.. easy... and they need replaced... as for as coils.. never replace them with stock...:) but i'd try the shocks first... rancho 9000 gas shocks have worked well with her old man emu lift... and they are avl. at any advance auto..

as for the shock replacement.. hand tools , a jack to remove the tires.. and some time... the front would take longer then the rear.. and use antiseeze

Attachments

• 100_5720.JPG
    100_5720.JPG
    881.2 KB · Views: 289
  • 100_5746.JPG
    100_5746.JPG
    911.7 KB · Views: 270
Good info and thank you. I dont mind taking these things on my own although I do not do a lot of my own work but this does seem do-able for me.

For a first timer changing out shocks, how much time do you think it will take?

I was also thinking about replacing the ball joints? The jeep manual indicates that requires a special tool and I should take it to a mechanic for that.

With power tools, it shouldn't take more than 5 mins. for each shock absorber, with manual tools, a little bit longer. Most auto parts house like Napa or Carquest will let you rent a balljoint remover/ installer if you wish to tackle that yourself.

You could try changing out the sissy factory sway bars and call quadratech for bigger ones for better cornering.

Shocks are easy. Ten minutes per side, not hard at all! There are some good you tube videos on the whole process. Ball joint- even with the tool it is hard. That job I think is worth paying someone else to do. I also saw a cool trick on You Tube for removing the old ones- not sure I would be willing to try it alone. Involved a jack and jack stand- I will try to find the video and post a link to it.

Back