Check Engine Light 00xj

y2kxj

While out today letting my brother in law hear the banging noise while in 4x4 the Jeep stalled. Later in the day the check engine light came on and is still on. Any suggestions would be great! I tried the trick of holding in the trip odometer button and switching the key back and forth. It read all 0's then 1's and so on then just returned to the Odometer reading. Does that mean that no codes were read?

Hi,

If the odometer flashes 000000, 111111, etc... you've put the dash into a self-test. This is NOT the same thing as checking codes. You could have autozone check the codees for free :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Check your operators manual, most check engine lights are hooked up to the oxygen sensor or to a timer that trips around 85,000 miles, which is used to remind you to change your oxygen sensor. Even after you change the sensor (screwed into the exhaust) you may still have to get your codes read to clear your light or have your timer reset.

My mother in law has the jeep while I'm at fire school. (I know what your thinking....I have her van). She said she shut the stereo off the other day and the check engine light went off. Later she started it and it was still off. Any ideas as to what would cause this?

You released the odometer trip reset button too early if the guages started doing self-checks.

Key off, push and hold the trip reset button.
Turn key to run (not start), and back to off.
Release trip reset button and watch for code in the odometer.

5 point harness setup?

I'll be home on the weekend and I'll give it a try. I'll post the results. Thanks for the help.

I bought a OBD II code reader today. The code came up a generic scan tool code P0138 Oxygen Sensor input voltage maintained above the normal operating range(Haynes Manual) O2 circuit high voltage(Code reader manual). Both books lean towards high voltage, will this be corrected by replacing the O2 sensor?

Back