Cherokee won't idle

hey terry, i have a 89jeep cherokee 4.0 4x4 i totally did a facelift to the jeep,anyway my question is i have a problem with the idle everytime i turn it on its idleing high and i go to turn it off and turn it back on and the idle back to normal sometimes,can you help me any suggestions.also looking underneath the body i traced a small leak so i followed the trace and lead to what seems to be lines to the vaccum which engages the 4x4 i dont know im guessing thats what it is,do i have to bleed them or what cause i just hooked the lines back into the vaccum,and i didnt try to put on 4 wheel drive.so can you also help me on that.im new to this 4x4 jeep stuff. hopeing to hear your input thanks! surfbandit texas!!! :D

Izzy,
I'm not sure what's up with your idle, but I did move your question to the Cherokee forum. Hopefully someone here can help you.

How long does it stay on high idle when you first start it?. To a certain amount of idle, during the first start, the sensors are calculating temp.,air and fuel demands with the conditions it requires. If it's exessively high and seems to be stuck at high idle, check the t.body for carbon build up and do a thorough bench cleaning by removing the t.body. In most cases that's all it takes to correct the issue. As you mentioned , you found a vacuum leak. This will contribute to a higher than normal idle and also make your fuel mileage suffer as the demand for fuel increases with the higher supply of an un-desirable air due to a vac. leak.. The cluster of vac. lines under the Jeep is your 4WD actuator circuit. They are color coded and has a pre-determined position on the ends as they are attached to a female rubbber plug. There is also a set of vac.lines going to the front axle disconnect actuators, check them for leaks as well. They do not require to be bled since they are pneumatic lines but instead test your 4WD operation by testing it on all the mode settings.

Steal is right, I have had a few issues with my IAC motor (idle air control). I took the throttle body off, cleaned it and everything was good. It seems that if you are running an oiled air filter (K&N, etc), you need to clean the throttle body more often due to the oil residue.

Hi there guys thanks for the info im new to this so im sure i be coming back for more questions and answers from you all expert guys on these kinda of things so once again thanks alot. Surfbandit cctx.

Back