Chronologic order for tub replacement

sparkfan

I am getting ready to do another frame up restoration on an '84 CJ. This is the first time I am replacing a tub and just want to know if anyone has any suggestions on the order of build. I live in Connecticut and the room factor stands in the way. I only have a 1 bay garage and it is LOADED with tools. I need to be able to pull apart and rebuild in a very small space so when to do what is key. Any suggestions?

when i did mine i pulled the tub and set it out side then i went to work on frame , suspension. motor , trans , transfer case and axles first then i worried about the tub and electrical system

^^That^^

Assuming the body is savable, my suggestion is to go to Lowes or Home Depot and getsome 2x4's and those clam shell brackets and make some saw horses to put the body on upside down.
Cover with tarp. If you are putting it over dirt, I would go a step further and put a tarp on the saw horses first, then the body, then another tarp over it. the moisture from teh ground will cause the body to rot. you may think you will have this done in a month, but as I found out, it always take 3 times longer than you plan.

If you are ordering a new tub check with the dealer on delivery date.Steel tubs come from the Phillipines(even the Mopar ones) & delivery can vary.Mine took 5 months.
I pulled every thing off of the old tub first & stored in my shed then had a few friends spend an hour or so pulling the tub,fenders,grille & radiator.I kept all body parts outside under cover until the new body was on.Then I cleaned repaired & painted the frame.The engine compartment wiring stayed on the engine until the new tub was on & the new wiring was ready to be installed.That way I had the old wiring in place for reference.I have some pics & write up of the rebuild under "EugeneII-78CJ" in the Jeep Builds forum.

Back