CJ Bumpsteer problem

Nooch13

I am about to pickup an 83 CJ that is sprung over with a 4 inch lift on 36's. Apparently it has a nasty case of bumpsteer. How hard is that to fix and how costly is it? What would need to be replaced? It has a single steering stabilizer on it now, I know it would need a double, what else?

4 inch sprins on top of the axle for only 36's? Go down to some 2 or 2.5 inch springs. And if you still need room do some cutting or a body lift. Then think about the proper pitman arm or doing a hi steer conversion (which can be cheap or costly).

To start, find out how much drop the pitman arm has and what, if any, other mods were done to the steering.

It would be easier to get that bump steer out with lower springs like laniac said. That's enough room for 40s at least. I have 36s under my SOA with just an AAL and the bump steer was really easy to get rid of. I already had the dropped pitman arm on, it was just a matter of adjusting the track bar and drag link to be paralell with each other. No need for high steer here, but in your case, maybe.

"a nasty case of bumpsteer" came as standard equipment on CJs :lol:

Like Jooper said, it's all a matter of getting the operating angles of the steering components straight. That's easier said than done with a 4" SOA.

That is alot of lift for 36s.

Back