cj5 help needed

homey58701

i bought a jeep with a title....title says 73 jeep cj5...some of the pictures ive seen of 73 jeep cj5s had the gas cap on the outside in the back under the right rear light....mine however has no place for a filler tube on the outside of the body...also need various parts for this jeep...complete wiring harness out of a parts jeep....would prefer not pay 550 for a new one from painless...any other vendors that have a complete harness for less?...also i bought this jeep stripped so im starting from scratch...body work is done....just have tedious stuff to do....i need lots of parts!! gauges, wiring, seats, seat belts, doors, top, steering column....etc....am trying to build this thing on a budget so any used parts you might have i would be interested in....am using chevy 3/4 tn axles with a 350 transmission and np208 transfer case....i have the frame set up for a 4 link but its a mail jeep frame...too narrow?....anyone got a stock frame that will fit?...any parts or help would be appreciated....

is it a fiberglass body?? if so, you have to make the hole for the gas fill.

as for the frame, look for a 78 or later, they were the best out of all the frames. extra boxing was used in some of the critical locations.

In some states the year goes by the chassis but most by the body. I am fortunate that both match on my Jeep. Sometimes people do mods so well it's hard to tell if it was changed or not.

not it is an all steel original body....no fiberglass....the body has not been altered in any way so my only guess is that on some 73 jeeps the filler neck is inside the back......unless of course its not a 73 body....

isn't the gas tank under the seats in a 73 CJ5 originally?

You're right, the gas fill was originally under the backup light right side. Check to see if the fill pipe is on the left or right. They may have wrapped the body side panels with sheet steel and didn't get around to sawing the hole. Look inside the rear fender well.

You might be better off trying to find a rust out cheap rather than buy separate parts. PM me and tell me what you want. I've parted out 2.

73's are cool. D44 rear is tough as nails. Frames can be boxed. They like to break at the spring mounts.

i found the purge take inside the fenderwell in the rear....im guessing the tank was filled from the inside?....as far as parts needed for the jeep....i have a 3/4 tn chevy that i was going to use for the drivetrain with a 350 chevy engine/transmission and a np208 transfer case....but i would rather use one with crossover steering instead of the the chevy steering due to the large tires i am going to be running.....but the kit is rather expensive....as ive said, this is a very low budget build....right now i have just the tub and front end....the frame i have is from a mail jeep but would rather use the stock cj chassis....also i need the complete wiring harness, doors and top......along with the support brackets for the top....i got a set of rollbars with the jeep but i dont believe they are the correct rollbars...the left front floorboard needs to be replaced....whoever had this jeep beforehand removed the tailgate and tack welded a flat plate across the back and i was debating whether or not to close that in or put the stock tailgate back in....the rear part of the floor section was cut out and flat plate welded in...im assuming to "fix" rust there as well...i need everything for the interior....gauges, wiring, seat mounting, seatbelts, seats, would like to get a stock cj frame and maybe go with a drivetrain with crossover steering.....im redoing this on my own and my goal is $6000.....i bought the body and frame for 300 which i think was a steal...i have a fair windshield frame though it is a little tweaked....but useable....dash is good....body is useable...front end is useable....but i have nothing more other than what i stated above....the rear corners have never been replaced or removed....so as far as original body panels go, the tailgate is the only one that has been altered....

Last edited:
what dont i need?...lol...i need just about everything for the interior.....need a complete wiring harness, heater box, gauges, heater core, blower motor, steering column, seats, seatbelts, tailgate, pedal assemblies, not sure if i wanna go back to the manual transmission or if i wanna do like i said and use a chevy drivetrain although i like the crossover steering....frame, top, doors, i need the supports for the soft top, seat mounting brackets...right now i desperately need the wiring harness, gauges, steering column, pedal assemblies, im hoping to get this on the road by spring....lots of work to do...but im down to the nitty gritty now....

i have a 3/4 tn chevy that i was going to use for the drivetrain with a 350 chevy engine/transmission and a np208 transfer case....

If it's a Turbo 350 bolted to that NP208, you're probably looking at a 6" rear driveshaft... that's a long combo.

thats what i was kinda thinking....im just not impressed with the slip yoke on the damn thing.....thinking bout goin back to the original driveline....at least they had crossover steering...and kinda like the idea of the 4 or 5 speed manual....still im a long way from there yet

Back