Closed system coolant bottle

KellenNold

My 89 Cherokee Laredo 4X4 I-6, the coolant bottle has a hole in it on the passengers side that I know is supposed to be there (to the passenger side of the cap). It looks like it is threaded for some kind of screw or something and I know that I have popped the hood and seen it leak out. Should there be some type of plug so this doesn't happen or is this like a weep hole to allow it to come out?

Thanks as always,

Kellen

no, the closed system is designed to maintain a pressure throughout. if your coolant bottle is allowing air to escape it is going to let your coolant evaporate as well - and eventually overheat when the coolant level gets too low. i know on my old XJ's coolant bottle, there were two studs that things COULD have screwed into but i never knew of anything that was supposed to go there. i think they're just dummy holes or something. they were right along where the big rubber strap was supposed to rest on the bottle between them.

Well my 89 has that same hole right where the rubber strap goes over and it is leaking out through this very same hole, I can see it coming out when hot and have to add coolant every now and then. After looking on ebay, the one being sold looks like there is some sort of metal screw in there, or metal something, regardless mine doesn't have this. Anyone with a closed XJ wanna look at theirs real quick?

anyone had this problem

Hi,

The one from my XJ does have a threaded stud sticking out of the top. The large black retaining strap has always wrapped around this stud, so nothing had ever been screwed into it. Nothing should leak out of there.

-Nick :!:

You can get one for real cheap from quadratec. I think I paid $30 to get it to my door. Cheap insurance in my mind.

Back