Clutch! need help now!

Branjmb

It's as simple as this... there's not resistance when I put the clutch in, so I can't shift... It's loose or something!!

Wrangler '92

If you can reference Chilton's and use small words, that'd be great, I'm a driver not a mechanic.:redface::redface::redface:

The Jeep YJ uses a hydraulic clutch. It sounds like you got a leak and lost all the fluid. Check the clutch master and slave cylinder. Also check the hydraulic line.

The Jeep YJ uses a hydraulic clutch. It sounds like you got a leak and lost all the fluid. Check the clutch master and slave cylinder. Also check the hydraulic line.

is it as simple as a leak? some people have been telling me I'd need to do a 1200 dollar replacement.... not sure what to believe

If you get no resistance when you push the clutch pedal, there's a 99% chance its a lack of fluid. That doesn't mean that there may not be other problems, but you need to find out why your clutch slave (or master) cylinder is leaking.

I agree with the leak however, it could also be an internal leak from the piston which will not have any signs of leak outside.

Just to give some additional info the symptoms he has are that his clutch pedal has a little resistance but does not actuate the clutch. The master cylinder has fluid in it and there is no obvious signs of a leak. Pumping the clutch pedal and watching for leaks does not show any leaks either. Does that sound like the master cylinder has failed?

Also he related to me that he had not noticed any problems and was driving at low speeds (second gear). When he attempted to shift to third the clutch pedal would not disengage the clutch. His Jeep has been parked in a garage on and off and there have been no signs of any leaks at all.

Would attempting to bleed the system be a way of seeing if the master cylinder is bad or would that not provide any clues?

Bleeding the system will help verify if it's a hydraulic failure. Note the changes if the pressure builds up and if there's an external leak, that pressure will reveal itself.

:rolleyes: Thank God 'Betty' has old school clutch linkage (albeit M Class rods)

Okay more problems. :x This was my sons clutch that had problems. We dropped the transmission/transfer case and replaced the slave cylinder which was definitely bad. While we were there we replaced all the U-joints on the drive shafts (good thing as the old ones were barely holding on). Reinstalled everything with no apparent problems. Bled the master cylinder, filled fluids in transmission and transfer case. The clutch works great now.

However, when we started it up we have a loud whine coming from what I believe is the transmission. I have a link to a YouTube video where you can hear the whine. Anyone have ideas as to what it might be?

Back