Co-worker killed on job today

TwistedCU

This morning, around 9:30 am, two co-workers and I were installing a fiber optic cable on a quiet back road in MD. We were performing what we call a “mobile operation”, where one worker works aloft in the bucket while driving slowly along a pole line. I was the driver, another was working the ground, and Marvin was in the bucket.

About 20-30 yards from where we started I heard Marvin call out to me through the two-way intercom: “Hold-up, Hold-up!” I began braking before he finished saying it, but it was already too late. Following his shout was the unmistakable, deafening sound of an electric primary line making contact to ground.

I tried to see what had happened but my view was obstructed by a tree. All I could make out was the flash (primary still burning) and that Marvin was bent over the side of the bucket. As I put the truck in park, Smoke began to rise from under my truck. Not good. This means the boom was in contact with the wire and the truck had become energized. The tires were smoking and beginning to catch fire (primary still burning). The truck being energized meant that I was stuck. I could not get out of the truck or I would have been electrocuted because I would have provided a better path to ground than the tires, and to make it worse all the smoke now made it impossible to see Marvin.

Realizing I was both helpless and unable to do anything for Marvin, I called 911 from my cell phone. While giving the location it dawned on me that I had not yet seen the groundman (I don't feel it right to post his name). Was he touching the truck when Marvin hit the primary? Was he clear of the truck? The difference would mean whether or not he was alive.

After giving the emergency dispatcher the location and brief details, I asked her to hold. I moved over to the passenger side seat because the fuel tank is on the driver’s side and the flames were getting big over there. I opened the passenger door and screamed for the groundman. He immediately came around the side and was fine. He quickly asked if I was aware that I could not get out of the truck (yes, the primary was STILL burning). I told him yes. He told me to call 911, and that Marvin was down. I told him they were already on the way, and just then the sirens became audible.

He went to see if he could get closer to Marvin, and then I heard the primary stop burning then start again. It sounded like it had finally burned in two and dropped off the boom. I hollered for the groundman a second time, and again he came running. I asked if I was clear to get out and he said yes. FINALLY!

I jumped (it was the closest I will ever get to an Olympic long jump) from the truck to the road. The primary was still burning, but now on the ground by the pole behind us. When I looked up, the bucket was empty. That was really bad. Marvin must have fallen out and the bucket was pretty high up there.

Just then a police officer pulled up, so I advised him of the present electrical hazards and went over to the groundman and Marvin. He was in bad shape. the groundman said that he had been trying to breathe but stopped. Just then the police officer shouted that the EMT had arrived. I checked for a pulse, and he had a strong, very rapid pulse. I shouted to the officer to tell them that he had a pulse. I leaned over him to double check if he was breathing and he was not. I re-checked his pulse that quick it was gone.

The EMT was now with him, and I asked if she and the groundman needed me, she said no. There were several vehicles pulling up and I did not see the officer that first arrived, so I knew that I had to warn them to keep clear of the line which had now finally stopped burning. We didn't need any more people getting electrocuted.

They worked on him for a long time, but they were unable to revive him or even get a pulse. He had sustained an electrical shock from a 7,620 volt line and then had fallen approximately 25-30 feet... head first. He should have been belted in, and it is unclear whether or not he had his safety lanyard attached or not. He may have panicked and jumped after getting “hit” or he may have not been clipped in and just fell out afterward. We may never know.

As for contacting the primary, the groundman had just started to walk back to the other vehicle to get a tool when Marvin raised the boom to clear a tree. Normally, we just feed the wire through the trees instead of going over top of them because of the close proximities to the electrical apparatus. For the life of me I can't understand why he had that boom up that high... we just don't do that when there is electric present.

The primary had burned for what I estimate to be four minutes, the longest four minutes of my life. When it kept burning the flames from the tires had to be close to the fuel tank. That's the first time in my career of doing linework that I ever felt not in control and feared for my life.

Please pray for Marvin's family - especially his children.

TC,

What a terrible thing to have to go through.
I really don't know what to say except that I am truly saddened to hear about this man and about the whole accident.

Prayers are on the way.

TC, my prayers are for Marvin, his family, and also for you. I know this is hard for you to handle, losing a co-worker. I am glad to hear that you are ok, at least physically. Just know that God had a plan for Marvin and you, and apparently, Marvin had fulfilled that plan in his earthly body. His plan for you has yet been unfulfilled.

I know that TC is blocking my posts, so if somebody could pass on to him what I said, I would greatly appreciate it. Our differences don't mean I don't care about his well-being. He is, after all, a human and fellow Jeeper.

I'm also thankful that you had the presence of mind to fall back on your training and stay in the truck. In the heat of the moment, there have been many who lost their head and tried to get out of the truck. I had two calls similar to this when I worked EMS where the only fatality was the driver, because they didn't stay in the truck until the power was off.

TC, my prayers are for Marvin, his family, and also for you. I know this is hard for you to handle, losing a co-worker. I am glad to hear that you are ok, at least physically. Just know that God had a plan for Marvin and you, and apparently, Marvin had fulfilled that plan in his earthly body. His plan for you has yet been unfulfilled.

I know that TC is blocking my posts, so if somebody could pass on to him what I said, I would greatly appreciate it. Our differences don't mean I don't care about his well-being. He is, after all, a human and fellow Jeeper.

Sparky, if your posts are blocked at least he'll see it here.

TC, I'm really glad you and the groundman did not get injured and we're praying for Marvin's family.

Really sorry to hear that, TC. Prayers our out to your co-worker's family. We lost a kid the first week I was here. Dumb-arse, careless crane operator killed a kid 4 days shy of his 19th birthday. Really makes you come to grips with your mortality. Like Sparky said, it's a good thing you kept your head and didn't go jumpin' out of your truck. Wish I could say something that would take away all the grief, doubt, anger, fear, etc., but I can't. Prayers out to you and your whole crew - it'll never be the same.

also working in risky business,
mud

wow reading that all the way through actually made my eyes swell up that is horrible even though one man is gone it could have been 3 so you guys are very lucky to make it out of that situation his family will be in our thoughts i'm sure !!

Thanks, folks. Most especially Sparky and Mud. Not to downplay the support from anyone else, but we have had some tension and well... thanks.

I switched all the PM/post stuff back to normal. Hopefully we can all just move forward leaving our previous behavior behind. That's all I'm going to say on that.

Last night was pretty rough. I got home a little early, and was really looking forward to seeing my wife and the kids. Strange thing happened though, I just couldn't be around anyone. It was just hard being happy when I knew that there were little kids out there finding out their daddy wasn't ever coming home.

I went outside and split and stacked the last 1/2 cord of wood that needed it, popped on Jeepz a couple times, then I trimmed and installed a solid wood door that I bought this past weekend. I did it with a hand plane, sandpaper, and chiseled out the hinges. Old school carpentry. IT was too late for noisy power tools and I was just trying to keep myself out of my head, ya know? I finally crashed out around midnight.

Up at 4am this morning. Work was pretty miserable. We had meetings/breifings in the AM, then had some counselor lady who wanted 20 linemen to have a group discussion. That went over like a fart in church. She meant well, but we just preferred to handle it in our own way. We're a tight bunch of guys and it was just too wierd.

I'm fine, but the whole thing has been very exhausting. The worst part was when I was in the truck and couldn't check on or help Marvin. 4 minutes seemed like an eternity and could have made a difference if I could have gotten to him earlier. I guess I will never know that, but it is something I will always wonder about when I think about the whole incident.

I took a couple of pics of the truck, nothing gorey... just the tires and the trailer that had the fiber on it. I'm not sure if taking them was appropriate, I may post them later, not sure.

The groundman's name is Fred. He took it exceptionally hard, he watched the whole thing (the shock, the fall) and it seemed like he was trying to somehow blame himself. There was nothing either of us could have done differently to prevent the accident. I have been reassuring him of that for two days now. He seemed much better this afternoon.

Like I said, TC, wish there were some magic words I could say, but there aren't......I know exactly what you're going through....been through it several times, and it truly sucks! Wish we were all born rich so we could be "Jeepz posters" for a living. My heart goes out to your whole bunch. Carry on as best you can, and above all else, BE CAREFUL!!!! That's the main message of our monthly company-wide safety meetings.............#1 goal - go home the same way you came!!

Many sympathies,
mud

The tires of the trailer that the truck was pulling:
7620V2JPG-2.jpg

7620V1JPG-2.jpg

The driver's side front tire:
7620V4JPG-2.jpg

Last edited:

Just saw the post today, It is a tragic event that took place, Marvin's family,you and all the other co-workers will be in our prayers.

That is a horrible thing to have happen. I've seen it from the other side. My prayers are being said for you, your family, your co-workers and their families.

It seems a long time ago now, but here is what happened to me -
- - - - - - - - - -
Once upon a time, I did outside building remodeling work - Mostly gutter (eave troughs), downspouts (leader), roofs, siding and windows.

An accident occurred when a co-worker was putting up downspout on a windy day. It was a 44' aluminum ladder fully extended. As he got ready to move it, the wind caught it and he was losing control of it. I was able to grab the ladder and brought the feet to the ground. He had let go by that time. The wind pushed the ladder into a 7200 volt power line that was too close to the building and hadn't been moved yet. Because the ladder's feet were on the ground, I did not get the hit to my core that I could have. But I did get a hit. I froze (yes, electricity will do that to you). Eventually the site foreman kicked the ladder. It fell away from the lines and I fell the opposite direction.

I remember telling my co-worker as I was getting wrapped up that my feet felt warm. I asked him to pull my right shoe off. He did. His frown, filled with disgust, assisted me in realizing that I may have had more of a problem than I wanted. You see, even though the soles of my shoes were made of neoprene, there was a pinhole. The fat under the layer of skin kind of boiled and passed through that hole. I also had immediate heart and circulatory problems (all fixed via IV within 24 hours).

Don't worry though. My feet recovered and I was fine just three months later.

I tend not to deal with any electricity since then for some reason. A fuse in my car? I get a friend to change it. Jump a friend's car? Here are the cables - You do it. A circuit breaker in the house? I'll sit in the dark until someone else can throw it.

My point? I survived, but I know the realm of emotions that you must still be feeling. Stick with it and, Thank the Good Lord, you remembered your training!

You were fortunate. I understand your unwillingness to deal with electricity after that. I hate to admit it, but the first couple days following it were pretty tough. Every little noise made me jumpy but after a week has now passed the work is second nature once again. It is still way too fresh in the memory though.

Thanks everyone for the kind words and payers.

I haven't had time to be on much recently, so I'm a little late on this but our thoughts and prayers go out to everyone involved.

I know when I used to come home from bad calls with the fire company I'd hug my kids like I never wanted to let go.

Please let us know if they set up a memorial fund or something for his family.

Sorry about that brother man, the gods will watch over the his soul.
They had a whole thing about this on Mythbusters yesterday.

Back