Cold Air Intake Noise

JeepGuyNY

K Gents here is my question? I have a 2004 Rubicon, and recently put the K & N cold air intake on it. Since I installed it I keep hearing a high pitched squeal coming from the intake. I have done alot of trouble shooting, by taking it apart several times, and also tightening everything down once again. But still I hear this annoying squeal. The times that it is most noticeable is when I am accelerating in 4th and 5th gear.
Any ideas??? Your input would be greatly appreciated.

JeepguyNY

Not for sure as I dont have the cold air intake, but I believe its a comman thing. I dont think theres anything you can do about it, its just the way the air flows.

Nathan

its normal i installed a diy k&n intake and dyi bored tb and it whistles now... its totally normal you'll get use dto it... mine only does it under acceleration but totally normal no worries

yep, it is very normal. I don't think there's any way to get rid of the noise, as long as you have the intake installed.

Normal intake noise. Stock intakes are designed to quiet this noise.

Mine sounds great at half throttle, you'd think it had a blower.

Cool HUH! Sounds like a turbo spooling up!

That ribbing in the stock intake is what silences the air on the factory setup, unfortunatly it also hinders air flow, so through simple meethods of deduction, you make it a smooth tube, you get more power, and noise. I think the trade off is worth it!

So does that mean if i kept the stock intake (with drop in K&N) and just replaced the ribbed tubing from the airbox to the throttle body, i might see a slight (very slight im sure) improvement?

Nathan

Newer 2.5L TJ's use large chambers that help silence the intake noise.

I don't think the ribbed tubing is designed to muffle intake noise, but to provide a flexible connection to the airbox.

The conical K&N's flow much more air than the drop-ins.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Newer 2.5L TJ's use large chambers that help silence the intake noise.

I don't think the ribbed tubing is designed to muffle intake noise, but to provide a flexible connection to the airbox.

The conical K&N's flow much more air than the drop-ins.

accually that is exactly what it is designed for. the corregation (sp ribbing) in the tubing is designed to slow the air flow down by creating turbulence in the air flow, hence less air flows into the intake, no hissing noise as the air crosses the throttle body. I think the K&N website has a good write up about this. I will look for it!

Back